Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2001, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote: Jodi I have never seen a blue mulch. Is this shade closer to a royal blue or lighter like a sky blue???

Kris, actually I had first read about blue mulch here at LS.
Then this year we went to a new supplier and he was carrying it.
No it was not like a royal blue. A lot more paler, hard to explain the exact hue. Maybe more like a grayish teal color, but it was not vivid.

Last edited by 1MajorTom; 11-20-2001 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2001, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen the colored much around here lately. I really can't stand the stuff, if the customer wants it I try to discourage them.It just doesn't look natural. We use doubled shredded cypress or hardwood.Nice color and texture. Gee I just hate to think what comes next,purple or pink mulch, then fake shrubs that look great from the road ? Let's throw some artifical flowers in those beds too.As for me,I'll try to keep the landscaping as natural as I can. Guess I'm gettin' old guys...sorry
Old 11-21-2001, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

What does everyone feel is the longest lasting mulch?
And which do you think has the best ability to not wash out in the rain?
Have used 3 different suppliers here and gotten 3 different answers to these questions
Old 11-21-2001, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Up here we have a few choices, The city has a mulch pile that is free for the taking but that is made from any and all trees that are sent thru the tub grinder. Its good for around trees in a field or in an area that just has to be capped.
The cheapest to buy is hardwood mulch which is basically trees, boxes and pallets ground up. There is better looking grade of this also. I have found the hardwood to be ok for economy but it doesn't hold up to well here, it also has a tendancy to wash away as the pieces are bigger and they float. They tend to take on a dark gray color after a couple weeks.

The best jobs use higher grade of cedar mulch. I found that it holds up well on the mounds as it meshes together therefore it doesn't float away nearly as much as the hardwood. It smells good to put down and it is relatively uniform in size as well as very light.

I have seen all the other "bagged" mulches and they look good when first put down but soon float or blow away. (nuggets, cocoa bean shells)

There is very good money in it if you can get the work and the results are always good right after you are done. The nice thing is that in 2 years it needs a cap because of the natural decomposition and there is more money to be made.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

How many of you guys have used the colored pallet material for mulch? What are the pros/cons to this material? Are your customers receptive of using this material, or do they care? This is my theory: Seems to me that it would depend on what the customers perception of what the mulch should do for them - if they want a vivid color that lasts throughout the season, but do not care about the negative effects of using pure wood material (i.e., nitrogen depletion, increased termite activity, etc.), then the colored pallet mulch is for them. If they are looking for the actual physical benefits of mulch for their beds and are satisfied with losing the color and eventual decomposition of the mulch, than the traditional bark mulch is for them.
Do any of you see this correlation in your area? Does this divide generally lie between commercial and residential accounts (i.e., colored material for commercial; bark for residential)?
Old 11-21-2001, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I put the colored mulch down at my house and I am pleased with it. That was 2 years ago and has faded a little bit, but hold color well. It stays down and does not blow away easy. Here it is $30 a yard. A heaping truck bed (long bed) is 2 yards (maybe a tad more).
Matt
Old 11-21-2001, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's a big notice hanging in the office of my mulch supplier warning about the dyed red mulch attracting termites. This particular vendor doesn't sell the dyed red anymore. Have you heard of this? Any truth to it?
Thanks, Bill!
Old 11-21-2001, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here in the bug capital of America we try and use cypress mulch or eucalyptus because of termites another creepe crawler. How ever pine is popular even though it draws termite. I agree with the post about texture of mulch to control weeds. At the Orlando growers show they were pushing dyed rubber tire mulch. It looked good and you could see steel belt in them. I ask if the rusting of the steel belt discolored the mulch and was told no problem.

Major Tom and all you other Pittsburgh boys should get a laugh out of Fire Lite stone. It is slag shipped straight from Pgh. Fire Lite stone sells for $93.00 a yard. To think as a kid growing up in Pgh they couldn't give the stuff away, now I am paying big bucks for it. Fire lite is real popular, last job I had to wait two weeks for a delivery. Slag for you non-Pgh is the resdue of burn coal out of the steel mill blast furnace.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Turf Management
There's a big notice hanging in the office of my mulch supplier warning about the dyed red mulch attracting termites. This particular vendor doesn't sell the dyed red anymore. Have you heard of this? Any truth to it?
Thanks, Bill!
I've heard the same thing from other sources, both verbal and in publications. I believe the reason bark does not attract termites is because this is indeed nature's own barrier to termites for trees and termites perfer the wood vs. the bark. But I have seen a few university articles that dispel the relationship between wood mulch and increase in termite activity, e.g.:

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...001/mulch.html

I'm not sure who is correct; I plan to do more research on this subject to determine which side is correct. Any information you guys have would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jkelton

I am lic in termite & fumigation here in Fla. I can positively tell you from personal experance that Pine and hard wood draws termites.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.