Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2000, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

<br> I want to know what is the best approach to starting a lawn business? Is there some good classes out there or books or software. WHat is the best. I am just starting up and I want to get some ideas from people. Let me know. I am from Minnesota.
Old 02-08-2000, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GRASSGROWER<p>I started my business 5 years ago and first of all if you want to know what not to do than look at the dissusion I started about being cheap.When you are still small and don't have enought work yes it would not hurt to take on some cheap jobs,But the second you get a chance to get rid of those cheap jobs do it!I think everyone will agree that unless you dont have enought work stay away form cheap paying jobs.<p>To me the 2 most important things to do are.1 buy good equipment.No I know that when you start up,cash almost allways hard to find,trust me I have been there.But don't put all your money into a new truck.Yes it may look more professonal than an old truck but a truck does not make you money equipment makes you money.The faster equipment you buy the more money you make.2Is do a good job.If you do a good job your clients will keep you,you will get referralls,you can charge more and so on.<p>If you have anymore questions just ask!<p>from:Adam<br>AB LAWN CARE
Old 02-08-2000, 04:52 PM
Banned

Go to Nilsons page at the top and buy at least two of his books.Buy the ones that interest you.
Old 02-08-2000, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Grassgrower- What part of Minnesota are you from?<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com
Old 02-09-2000, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

<br> Thanks so far to everybody that replied. Anybody else got any comments let me know.
Old 02-09-2000, 09:05 AM

I say read all of this forum. Read the archives. Theres no substitute for shared experience that we are making available in this forum.
Old 02-09-2000, 10:40 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Grass Grower go to this site and read the old posts. &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.hallofforums.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=lawncare&quot;&gt;OLD FORUM&lt;/a&gt; There are 12 pages of around 50 threads per page and a lot of good information for new guys there. Also set your search to go to all the posts on this one, not just the past 10 days and you will find a lot of good info. Do not post on the old forum, it's just for reading. I hope this helps. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-09-2000, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I started 12 months ago and did lots of research before getting started. I feel the single best resource was a book called Lawn Care and Gardening by Kevin Rossi. It was probably the best $22 i've spent. I have the address of how to order if you want it.
Old 02-09-2000, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Mountain man <br> Yes, would you please give me the address for that book. Thanks to you and everybody that has responded. <br>
Old 02-10-2000, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Care and Gardening: A Down to Earth Guide to the Business<br>Acton Circle Publishing<br>PO Box 1564<br>Ukiah, CA 95482<br>$21.95 plus $1.50 shipping (if in CA then add 7% tax)