Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-06-2001, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honda 36" WB spindels

Has anyone had to replace spindels on a Honda WB yet? I am having to replace two and hate to spend $200 each for complete spindels plus $150 in labor. Is their a trick to getting the pullies off on some of these decks?
Old 11-08-2001, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

warrantee

I dont know what year your mower is but i do believe that honda owes you a new set of spindles for your mower. This may just be that my dealer is able to pull this one but he gets everyone new spindles unless you are already using the new grease spindles with the grease nipple on top. I would talk to honda about this and talk to your dealer as well. Honda knows about the defects in their greaseless spindles and will usualy replace them for you.

good luck and any specific question just ask, i will see what i can do.

(I wonder why my dealer never responds to anything on this forum, i know he reads it?)

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 11-08-2001, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the mower was bought march or april of last year. The spindels are the ones with grease fittings but the problem is that I think they were not greased enough and the warranty was only one year. Motor has a two year warr. I seem to not be able to get the pulley's off it so I can check the barrings and shafts for wear. Both spindles move and cause vibration. I did bend the blade brake pully trying to use a three jaw puller so now I at least have to buy a pulley.

The reason I'm asking around is to not have to get out the torch and cut it in half to get it off. I'd rather replace barrings and maybe a shaft and pulley then the whole thing.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Been there

What you want to do on the Honda is this.

Remove the screws from the metal holder in the middle of the pulley. Then take those screws and put them in the other holes in the spindle holder. Tighten them until they seperate the pulley and the holders. They should come right off. I finally figured that out from a mechanic after going through 3 pulleys. The trick is getting them back on. The pulleys are tapered in the middle so if that inner retention ring doesn't go in easily flip the pulley over and try it that way. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2001, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

LAWNMASTER 5000

What STL dealer would that be. I am in the STL area also.