Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2001, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

some product, some safety

Big companies use more dilute forms because amount of error with active ingredient will be less at hihger volumes than lower. Goes like this. If a guy is tires and puts down 5 gallon/k instead of 4 gallons its a 25% over app and probably not gonna hurt. If a guy puts down 3 instead of 2 gal it's a 50% over app. The converse is true on under app. You could be ineffective or phytotoxic depending on which extreme you go to.

If you are steady Eddie, lower dosages ar OK. Sometimes with contact fungicided or insecticides more volume equals better plant coverage to a point. On systemics which are usually more root absorbed than foliar absorbed lower volume is not a problem except for a phytotoxic effect.

I've sprayed a lot of plants and turf with low volume app (1.5 gal/k with liquid fert and weed control) with ZERO problems.

I've sprayed fungicides at a quart/K and achieved control.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: some product, some safety

Quote:
Originally posted by HBFOXJr

If you are steady Eddie, lower dosages ar OK.

I've sprayed a lot of plants and turf with low volume app (1.5 gal/k with liquid fert and weed control) with ZERO problems.

I've sprayed fungicides at a quart/K and achieved control.
This just goes to show that YOU are one of the ones with the experience, knowledge and ability to do this efficiently. I'm on the same rail as you. Imagine how it is with some of the brain surgeons that the big guys hire. I quoted the first part, because I liked the comment about "steady Eddie".

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

I got to agree with you 99%. The 1% of disagreement is here in the bug capital of America with heavy thatched turfs. Our insect pressure is high and a high volume of water is required to saturate the turf. Also our ornamentals are sub-tropical with soft leaves and require a lower A.I. to avoid toxic burn.

In my area the Spotted Dog (formally the big whale) TGCL applies at 3 Gal/M. I apply at 5gal/M. I use a 3 hose set up and my herbicide is applied at 1 gal/M. Thanks for all your great posts. Just remember us rebels don't always agree with you yankee.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can sure understand those rates under those conditions, espacially for insecticides with no irrigation. Hey do you have Middleton Pest Control down there? You want to see a wicked marketing website, check THIS out! You do your own estimates, and submit via internet. It's kind of neat the way they have it formatted. I guess they do some BIG bucks, though! www.middletonpest.com

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

Middleton is located in Orlando about 2 hrs north of me. They are a big outfit. Orlando was, maybe still is the fastest growing city in the world. A lot of bucks there with disney and all. Biggest tours attraction in the world. Every thing has to be green and clean. a lot of money to be made their. A lot of headaches too. A lot of lowballer too. Middleton is a big marketing company and have a good market share. When I raced we said it is not the cubic inches that beat you it is the cubic dollars. I'll stay in the small town. I am just a small towner. But I will use any idea that I can get from Middleton. I really don't know what kind of work they do. But I am sure it is better than the spotted dog. Spotted dog is real top heavy and has people who have forgotten more than you and I know, But it is the man at the end of the hose that makes or breaks the work. If you get to Fla. look me up.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.