Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What works better/cheaper than roundup

Hey guys just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what the use to spray along fence lines railroad track buildings etc..... to kill off vegatation. I have a local factory that has a bunch of old crap in the back that I have to mow around or atleast keep it under controlled because its kinda outta sight but the city want's it cut. Anyhow, they requested that I spray around everything so I don't have to trim or anything and I'm looking for something that is a one time a year chemical and a decent price anybody have any secrets?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What I have used for bare ground weed control is up to 10 lb Krovar DF, 8 oz Oust and 2 Qt 6lb/gal MSMA. I add 2 Qt Garlon 4 if there are vines, tree saplings or heavy growth of broadleaf weeds. Sahara is another option as well. I have never tried Sahara because no one stocks it in Hawaii. These bareground mixes are actually more expensive than doing glyphosate, however I am dealing with vegetation that has usually been cut and allowed to regrow several times. I also have a 12 month growing season. Many weeds in my area are glyphosate tolerant and there can be large patches of such vegetation because the previous contractor did not do anything more than Roundup and weedwhack. After spraying such a mix, everything dies and nothing grows back for 12 months or more. Which is remarkable for Hawaii. If I average out the cost of such a spraying over 12 months, it actually becomes less expensive than weedwhacking or spraying glyposate 6 times a year. Up north, you might get up to 5 years of bare ground. However, do not ever spray this uphill from or around desirable plants. This stuff runs off, moves down to root zones and will kill full grown trees. I don't do this within 50 feet of shade trees or where is a possibility that run off from the site will go to someone's garden or lawn.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
What I have used for bare ground weed control is up to 10 lb Krovar DF, 8 oz Oust and 2 Qt 6lb/gal MSMA. I add 2 Qt Garlon 4 if there are vines, tree saplings or heavy growth of broadleaf weeds. Sahara is another option as well. I have never tried Sahara because no one stocks it in Hawaii. These bareground mixes are actually more expensive than doing glyphosate, however I am dealing with vegetation that has usually been cut and allowed to regrow several times. I also have a 12 month growing season. Many weeds in my area are glyphosate tolerant and there can be large patches of such vegetation because the previous contractor did not do anything more than Roundup and weedwhack. After spraying such a mix, everything dies and nothing grows back for 12 months or more. Which is remarkable for Hawaii. If I average out the cost of such a spraying over 12 months, it actually becomes less expensive than weedwhacking or spraying glyposate 6 times a year. Up north, you might get up to 5 years of bare ground. However, do not ever spray this uphill from or around desirable plants. This stuff runs off, moves down to root zones and will kill full grown trees. I don't do this within 50 feet of shade trees or where is a possibility that run off from the site will go to someone's garden or lawn.

holy cow!! that sounds like death!!! maybe a little pricey though?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could also use, three-way ester 3oz/1000 roundup at youre rate and Sahara at anywhere from 7-19#/acre depending on the amount of months you will need the control, The ester works alot like the old Brushmaster formulation but a little cheaper. I've used this combo for years and it has yet to fail me.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use ortho total vegetation killer

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use the Sahara product on mini-storage places, or anyplace with gravel drives.

Here in MN, I can apply it once in May, use some glyphosate based chemical to kill existing vegetation, and get control for the entire season.

It's not 100% control, but it's 97-98% control, enough where the owners aren't trying to mow their gravel drives and parking areas.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivefaster35 View Post
holy cow!! that sounds like death!!! maybe a little pricey though?
This is what is reccomended on the DuPont IVM website for a tropical or southern cllimate with heavy infestation by vines and brush. My cost for this mix comes out to about $350 per Acre + I charge $150 application fee. Another one I do is 10lb Karmex, 10lb Velpar DF and 2Qt MSMA. This is for areas that are a mix of fall panicum, guinea grass and trees. If I do not need to or want to drop the trees in the treated area, I use 12lb Karmex, 2lb 2,4-D ester and 2Qt MSMA. This one, I can apply for about $500 per acre and still do very well. I can ask for and get $900-1000 per acre if the spray must kill the trees. On my usual bareground job, I need to kill brush that has grown up to 10 feet tall. The only chemicals that will do that are bromacil or hexazinone. I also have massive amounts of ivy gourd and morning glory, as well as vines I do not know the names of. I take it you have never been to Hawaii. Other than kudzu and Canada thistle, I cannot think of any weeds you brothers on the continent have that I would consider hard to kill. There is vegetation here I would not wish on my worst enemy. All of it is highly resistant to glyphosate. A lot of the vegetation population shifts to this type because of the "landscapers" and their RoundUp. Every month, I see them at the UAP I go to buying about 10 gallons. The warehouse man noticed I have only bought a single 2.5 gallon of RoundUp in the past year, but I go through Krovar or Karmex by the 25 lb case. There is not much area to spray on this small island, so I can only imagine that it takes that much RoundUp to keep an area dead. If I can spray an area once and keep it dead for a year, I have made money. Not to mention I have saved time. Callbacks are very costly for me because I am a one man show.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Tuff Stuff it 41% glyphosate & i buy it from Tractor supply for $65.00 for 2gal.
i mix 3oz to each gallon....and ....POOF... everythings dead
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I heard a vinegar and water mix works.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn-Sharks View Post
I use Tuff Stuff it 41% glyphosate & i buy it from Tractor supply for $65.00 for 2gal.
i mix 3oz to each gallon....and ....POOF... everythings dead
How long does it stay dead? One nursery that I do custom applications for noticed that weeds would start to germinate all around something that was killed the week before with glyphosate. They were going through $100 a month on RoundUp, and the time it took away from the other things that needed to be done in the nursery. Some Karmex, MSMA and 2,4-D cleaned up their overgrown mess and kept it dead for months. I do not look at what something costs, rather how long it lasts. I eliminated 8 months of spraying glyphosate with one application of a bareground mix that costed maybe a little more.