Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2001, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark users with Ultra Vac and Mulching Kits

This message is for Exmark users. I have just bought the Ultra Vac System for my 52" Exmark Lazer Z HP.

Can you advise me on which blades or double blades have worked for you with success and which to avoid. Thanks.

1. Ultra Vac System
2. Side discharge
3. Mulching Kit installed.
Old 11-21-2001, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ultra Vac = Low lift blades
Side Discharge = High lift blades
Mulch Kit = Gator Blades
Old 11-21-2001, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 2 eXmarks ( 60" LC & 72" LC ) and I put a Director on both of them and I haven't picked up a leaf in 4 yrs. and I will compare any of my lawns with someone who picks up the leaves. I just close the side shute and back over them and those puppies are gone.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm with kents on this

the same combo is working super for me, the 52hp and the ultra vac are both new to me and i love em more everytime i use them,

best of luck, keith
Old 11-21-2001, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with REO. Director and Gator Magnums on bottom and "regular" Gators on top. Back over them and ........BUG DUST!!!!

I have the Ultra-Vac, but to be honest, I dont really like it as much as I thought.

1) Too wide at the deck.
2) Too wide at the rear (bag area swings into things)
3) REALLY taps the power. 3700 RPM's normally with just blades engaged, 3500-3550 RPM's with Ultra-Vac engaged! (ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THIS??)
4) Offers hardly any "suction" to pick up the leaves. Has the same "suction" as it does when just mowing. Isn't the impeller offering ANY suction?
5) Heavy as all Hell. The bag support cover must weigh 100lbs and is all but a 2 man job to just hang it on the back!
6) Requires removal (2 wrenches for my application) of "THE DIRECTOR" to install.
7) Fills up WAY too fast with big chunks of leaves. This was with regular OEM high lifts, havent tried it with the double Gators yet.(If I have the power???)
8) I don't need the front caster weights. I actually liked the rear heavy situation. When you start to plow a large pile, just slow down a bit and then accelerate and do a small "gentle" wheelie over the pile and swallow it! Works great!

Overall, the Ultra-Vac is nice, but I have better luck just mulching them with the Director and double Gators (they sound like a jet engine!). Plus I dont have to go dump them somewhere!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 11-21-2001, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

tls

tlsthis is not meant to be a shot but,what else have you used that you like better, not trying to be a smartbutt, but i'm new to the leaf biz and so far i am happy with my set-up but theres always room for improvement. on your points

1 it is wide
2 the bags are back there
3 like you i really cringe when i engage the blades, but the low lift blades seem to help, sorry i don't have a tach
4 i think the pump (thats what i call it) moves alot of air
7 fills up to fast, every bagger i've ever used has this inherant problem

the other items you listed have not really been to big a deal for me, the pump is a little heavy, but i think this is a good thing(well built)

have a great turkey day, keith
Old 11-21-2001, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a JD 318 Tractor with a 50" deck and their "version" of the Ultra-Vac. It cut like crap as it had very little suction/lift, but when you had the Vac on it it was like a giant parking lot sucker. Sucked up everyting. That inpeller was on a horizontal axis and only stuck out about 10" or so. It also suffered quick fill problems. But with only 2 bags, wasn't nearly as wide as the 3 bagger Exmark. This unit is still used by my Father and has over 2800hrs on it and is still functioning perfect. It is very light, but still VERY durable. Easy on and off.

I have also used a buddies Lazer a few years ago with a Trac Vac with a 6hp engine driven inpeller. You could idle down the deck and rev up the impeller and wallah! No blow out and Great suction!

I would think the low lifts would decrease the overall suction? I have a cheapie set of low lifts, will have to try them.

What else do I like better....Mulching them with the DIRECTOR!!! But I have a few properties that this just isn't possible. Thats why I bought it. I agree with you that it is built well, almost TOO well (weight) but I guess I expected better suction from all the horsepower it draws. Maybe I'll have to look into it, but maybe a bearing is bad or something? If it spun up a little higher RPM's, I think that would help suction wise.

Oh well, just have to deal with it and take it for what it can do.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 11-21-2001, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

thought about the trac vac

tls,thanks for the info, like i said i'm new to the leaf biz and i considered the trac vac and i heard good things about it, but i didn't want to ad the tag along behind me if you know what i mean, plus i purchased the ultra vac for 1100$ and from what i'd seen this sounded like a super deal, i guess in my case ignorance is bliss, because i know my old method of gettin up leaves was a lot of physical work, now other than emptying bags, which is something else i wish i coud do without getting off the machine, it is a lot less work and time, but like i also said i'm always looking for a better way...

thanks for the info and have a good one, keith
Old 11-22-2001, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I can see myself down through the years with some of the comments posted on this site. I started 18 yrs. ago with a trac-vac, then went to Deere's with 3 bagger sys. and then to eXmark's. I used to HATE! to do leaves in the fall, but now it's gravy. I find that my 27 LC 72 is the best. I really am amazed how the leaves disappear. Personally I like not having to get off and get on the unit all the time to empty bags.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TLS
I have a 52 lazer hp with ultra vac.
I was using the high lift blades, and when engaging the blades the rpms went low, and had a lot of blow out. Now, I have switched to the low lift blades, and what a difference. the rpms seem to be up, really sucks the leaves, and doesn`t leave any leaves like it used to do. The main problem is that the 2 bags that come with the lazer hp vac setup fill rather quickly, but it is much easier to dump them as to use the old way I did cleanups. A tarp for dragging them, and a wb with a bagger, what a job that was.
I also do the lawns weekly, and in a lot less time than before.
I like that, more money in less time with hardly any work. All the previous years, leaf cleanups used to tear me up, and wear me out, but this year, I am not as worn out and the lawns look super nice when bagged with the ultra vac.

Last edited by Premo Services; 11-22-2001 at 08:18 AM.