Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-22-2001, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

When I used to pickup leaves I used to block the shute and run over them and grind, then I would hookup the vac and I could fit ton's of leaves in the bags. I don't miss those days.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

mow money

i'm running over the lawn at a pretty good clip, chute open and just chop everthing up first, this has cut down alot on how quick my bags fill, (still faster than i want them to) i grind em to dust, then bag, yesterday did 3 properties ranging from 18.5 to 34k each job took less than 1.5 hrs. 2 of the props only took 3 39gallon trash bags, 1 took four bags, and these yards were covered with leaves, i know i'm going over it 2 to 3 times but i'm pricing it accordingly, and it looks great when done. still a heck of a lot better than a tarp
Old 11-22-2001, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've really been contemplating getting an UltraVac for next season, as I have a few jobs that would be suitable for it. I usually just mulch them up myself, but have came across a few jobs that are so heavy of a confined area. Many times, the people wish to have their places real clean. Also, there are applications that there is just a little bit if stuff, and rather than mow it, chop it, and chase it back and forth, it would be more feasible to just pick it up and be done with it. I have no problem hauling material, so this would work for me. I almost purchased one this year, but someone (a good source) told me they have another UltraVac in the works for next year, that can be dumped right from the drivers station. Much like the Peco. Is this good or bad? I don't know. This in itself raises some questions. Will the unit come off and on instantly? Would we be better off to just use the bags as the weight of lifting would already be divided by three? (As opposed to a whole tarpfull that was dumped on the tarp.) These are contributing factors to consider in this purchase. I'll wait and see what it brings.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
[a1 lawncare] i know i'm going over it 2 to 3 times but i'm pricing it accordingly, and it looks great when done. still a heck of a lot better than a tarp
I have cut a couple passes without vac on and mulched them up to get less fillup of bags, but, as I said on my post, I do the lawns weekly. I put the leaves in the wooded areas of property, or on curb for pickup. I don`t haul em away. I have done this both ways and it takes as much time to go over it 2-3 times to get the leaves mulched or to just bag once and be done, when they are done on a weekly basis. All of my customers get it weekly, but if a neighbor or someone wants to wait until they all fall, and the leaves are real thick, I will go over it a couple times to chop em up, and charge accordingly. I don`t use a tarp anymore, I blow the leaves to where the lazer can get to and do it the easy way.
Old 11-25-2001, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the ultra vac. I run the gators on it when I vac.
Gators only work with the mulch kit when cutting leaves. Don't work when cutting grass. Leaves a trail of grass down the right side. Not the correct airflow for the mulch kit.