Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

FERT SHRUBS YES LIQUID BACK PACK YES ARBORGREEN YES AND ALL PHASES OF LANDSCAPING YES=$$$$$$$$ DONT LET ANY ONE ON THE PROPERTY YOU SERVICE FERTCO TREECO PESTICIDE CO ETC SUB IT OUT (NETWORK) IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE PERMITS FOR CHEM APPS.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Alrighty then, why are we yelling? You must be very excited about your work in all phases of landscaping. Peace love and granola may the eternal ice cream in the sky never melt....LOL

"Either your Boatswain Mate or you work for one"
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey GreenDoctor, which sprayer do you use for deep root feeds? You mentioned a Murayama gas before. I have been using SHURflo battery op and it doesn"t work well at all. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know most of you are going to laugh at this, I did when I first heard about it.

There is no better fertilizer for beds & shrubs than worm poop. Crazy right? You must have chemicals to grow plants, right?

Two years ago, one of our clients purchased their first pallet of worm casting s from us. He went to his clients in Princeton, NJ and asked if he could put the poo under some shrubs. It worked so good he up sold so many clients that he is now using 22 tons a year. He sends one person out with a wheel barrow and hand scoop to do the applications. His clients are happy & he has added a money making service.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use organics and mychorazae(sp?) I have a b&G deep root feeder when it works right, sometime you squeeze the trigger and nothing happens I pound it into the ground and then it works cant figure it out. Any way merit 2oz for systemic but emxpensive. Whitey you should sub out the deep root feeding to someone that wont step on your toes till you can get a tank setup. I use a 200 gal space saver just for my deep root feeding, same thing here just down a little grid pattern, goes fast i listen to my walkman, best money per hour i make.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verant View Post
for you that trim shrubs, how do u charge? man hours, number of shrubs, etc?
I do an estimate , but i can look at it and know real close how long it will take, been doing it a long time, if you are starting you can never lose money if it is hourly. The reply to the customer i found is "well it is the fairest way to price the job, i dont want to overcharge and i dont want to lose money on the job. I have seen too many guys cut corners when they come up short on the bid time and I dont work like that.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-green View Post
Hey GreenDoctor, which sprayer do you use for deep root feeds? You mentioned a Murayama gas before. I have been using SHURflo battery op and it doesn"t work well at all. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks in advance.
If a backpack unit fits your needs I suggest either a Maruyama MS074 or a Solo 433. Both of those units have a high pressure duplex piston pump that puts out about 2 GPM. I do not think electric pumps fit into what I do. Not enough pressure, volume or agitation. A gas backpack bypasses excess pump output back into the tank, keeping things mixed. The Maruyama puts out 350 PSI, the Solo is good for 425 PSI. A 200 gallon skid or trailer is usually too much for the kind of work I do. I used to use a 50 gallon truck mount with a 300 ft hose. That was a bit big too. I also had to pull the hose up or down stairs, or through narrow passages on the side of the house to reach the area needing treatment. Also, a 50 gallon tank was a hassle to clean. I remember trying to spray a small group of shrubs with a hand sprayer and getting piss poor coverage due to the lack of pressure and volume. Now I fill the 7 gallon tank, start the engine and march right up to what needs spraying or injection. There is no law against mixing a partial load and using it up. I think that is much more responsible than making too much and having to use the mix where it is not the best fit. Today, I did a 4 gallon load of Sevin for one property and a 7gallon load of Merit + Ultrafine oil. Different target pest, different spray.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, as for me, I have talked my customer out of a deep root feeding, and into a soil drench instead, something I know how to do and have done before. I know how to cutomize this appliance technique for mixed beds, with everything from hydrangas to euonymus, to weeping birches. Some aluminum sulfate for the hydrangas, some Holly Tone for the aezalias.... these may be outdated approaches, but they have always worked for me. (and yes, I did 6 pH tests on his beds today)

I do have a question though... I've never seen the need for a soil injection vs. a drench, unless it's for a tree. Even then, like for a weeping birch, the feeder roots are at the drip line and no deeper than 6"s. Why push fert under the feeders? Especially in a sandy loam like I work with all the time? I want the micros to stay in the feeder root zone as long as possible before they leach.

I'm not taking a strong position on this... rather I'm asking for opinions that might differ with my take on it. I am dead set against farming anything out... I'll find out how to do something right, even if I have to lay out for equipment. I'd rather take a loss than farm out, but not at the cost of screwing something up or not doing it right.

Oh... and Maruyama? That has top be the most screwed up company I ever tried to buy anything from. I called their US headquarters. Neither their web site OR the sales person could find a dealer for me to purchase from! This woman didn't even have a clue as to how large NYS is. Then she said, oh, I've been as far north as Boston, but never got up to where you are. (Boston is 350 miles NE of me). I eventually got a phone number for a regional distributor, and they finally told me where I could buy a back pack sprayer from a local dealer. Talk about completely incompetant!
Old 03-23-2008, 04:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is too bad that Maruyama does not have a very good dealer network on the continent. Here in Hawaii, there was an outfit that would import direct from Japan. But they folded. You could try the Solo 433 machine. No authorized dealer required to buy and I like the fact that I can order parts for it online directly. You could order the machine directly from http://www.solousa.comThe reason why I will do a soil injection is the soil I deal with is a volcanic clay that does not allow anything to penetrate. Furthermore, it binds anything you might pour on the surface, so the plant does not get it. Merit drenched on the surface has generated complaints of ineffectiveness or slow to work. I use Merit quite effectively by microinjecting it into the root zone of the target trees or shrubs. That is what the Meterjet gun is for. I apply 15 ml shots radiating out from the trunk and activate it with an irrigation. On the rare occasion that I am working on sand, no needles, I spray on the surface and water in.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
It is too bad that Maruyama does not have a very good dealer network on the continent. Here in Hawaii, there was an outfit that would import direct from Japan. But they folded. You could try the Solo 433 machine. No authorized dealer required to buy and I like the fact that I can order parts for it online directly. You could order the machine directly from http://www.solousa.comThe reason why I will do a soil injection is the soil I deal with is a volcanic clay that does not allow anything to penetrate. Furthermore, it binds anything you might pour on the surface, so the plant does not get it. Merit drenched on the surface has generated complaints of ineffectiveness or slow to work. I use Merit quite effectively by microinjecting it into the root zone of the target trees or shrubs. That is what the Meterjet gun is for. I apply 15 ml shots radiating out from the trunk and activate it with an irrigation. On the rare occasion that I am working on sand, no needles, I spray on the surface and water in.
Thanks for the repsonse. My sandy loam is great, but it does leach very fast to high water tables. This is a bedroom community with no farms for at least 45 miles.... and virtually no factories for 20 miles, yet we still had 4 wells shut down in the local water district for high nitrate levels. Surface drenches seem the right application technique here for sure. Injections seem to make much more sense for you, not that I have near your experience and am not qualified to comment on clay soils. I've never worked with dense clay at all.

We also got Merit restricted due to it leaching into our aquifers. Only certified applicators can buy Merit here now. I wish more stuff was restricted actually, but that is from a very localized self interested (and environmental) viewpoint. It makes little sense for anyone here to use injections to me, unless there are some mitigating cicumstances.