Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2008, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltonjr1 View Post
As far as the trenching we would go about 9-10" deep and the width of a spade shovel. When you back fill with topsoil assuming your building your beds up a foot or so the soil would lay up against the edge making a nice line and easy to edge with a trimmer. By the time you mulch and everything settles you only have a couple of inches of depth to the edge. Usually as the bed ages you will develop a flat surface between the bed and the grassline.This just helps in the beginning with containing your mulch from spilling over into the grass. We would not paint the whole bed out only where the curves would be and such then we would make a smooth run with the trimmer. I'm sure there is better ways to do this but it worked for us and it was some time ago. I've been out of the buisness quite awhile so these methods are what im accustomed to, not saying there the best but its all I know. It just did not look to me that the edge blade tool made all that deep of an edge.
OK, cool, i got ya, yea i don't think the trenchblade is made to go deep enough for the way you used to do bed lines. The idea with the trenchblade is to be efficient, cost effective, and look good when it is done. It has worked out great for us, but different people do things in many different ways and it's real hard to say what the best way is especially when you are dealing with mother nature. I know that landscape techniques differ in various parts of the country and at various levels of skill and experience.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just edge it out with a spade, spray the grass with round up pro, then use the spade to cut the grass out like a sod-cutter would after the grass dies. Use the quick acting round up and keep your money you would use for rental in your pocket. Don't forget to use a pre emergent in the beds.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Spade Spade Spade