this is over pruned?
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Touche', aun gard

very funny actually
Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Hysterical really! I was working on a lecture and couldn't find any post freeze photos...where did you find that?

I used to watch the temps every winter hoping and praying that level of freeze wouldn't ever happen on my watch....

Tom

"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
— Gaylord Nelson
Old 03-20-2008, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jaszewski View Post
where did you find that?
http://images.google.com/images?q=mirage+hotel
Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

hey I was just poking fun, I know they froze. but it does not say that in the photo. the thing is that when you drive into my yards there is a distinct difference in the two type of yards. with the water restrictions and the N limits for bagged goods the chem guys are scratching there heads and wondering until they get the nerve up to call and be friendly.

it sounds like you have battled with mag. deficiency's and fizzle, got some help for the little people. how about boron?some one has the answers and i hope that they share?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
hey I was just poking fun, I know they froze. but it does not say that in the photo. the thing is that when you drive into my yards there is a distinct difference in the two type of yards. with the water restrictions and the N limits for bagged goods the chem guys are scratching there heads and wondering until they get the nerve up to call and be friendly.

it sounds like you have battled with mag. deficiency's and fizzle, got some help for the little people. how about boron?some one has the answers and i hope that they share?
Palms are what I know best. Mg deficiencies generally would not show frizzle top, likely culprit in that case would be Mn. Compost tea or 123 Compost Tea, and a good nutrition program can help mitigate both problems very well.

I'd be happy to share anything I know....

Tom

Tom

"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
— Gaylord Nelson
Old 03-20-2008, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

thanks, the tea will take several months,thats a given.how about some wow now organic fixes any thing..... bone meal is our best resource, after that it time to break out the palm jet.we do use some Epsom salts in the spring but is it organic?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

should i invest in some "baisic slag" for FE MN MG or is there a better way. tea is working just fine its just slow, the picture i posted was a real sh*7 hole when we got it. sand spurs where the only thing in the yard and most people pee greener then the grass was to start off. that was 5 apps. of tea and 800 lbs of compost(wet) later and it is the best looking yard in the HOA. now people just say fix it I dont care if you spray ground marshmallows and unicorn feathers. but still i get some feed back from a few pros and i see it myself. metal deficiency's and that's the one hang up. the chems are just loaded with metals and the stuff we use is a little bland in the metal dep.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I have no idea what "baisic slag" is. If it's one of the cheap sources of Fn derived from mining slag run away from it. Ca Mg ratios are important with any crop, and critical with turf and palms IMO. You are fortunate in that you have what I think is the best palm lab in the country. A&L in Pompano Beach, Linn Griffith is the owner I think. They are conventional, but their test reports can be useful. You're correct when you indicate turning around an Mn and Mg shortage is a slow process. We are never able to "fix" grown out fronds, only those new to emerge. Hopefully you have incorporated mycorrhizae into your program as well.

Tom

— Gaylord Nelson
Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yes we do use micorrizae, most of the time we use mycostim from organic labs there local. we found a product at the lowes the other day with about 50 names down the side i wish i still had the bag, we got it as a novelty it had BT listed on the side. BT is controlled in fl, we got a hahah out of it and spread it on the worm beds. some of the best myco. powders we used are myan mico. and a swiss powder with a cotton base. we always feed some to the worms to "keep the mother dough"going. we never use the same brand over and over, we mix it up a little.