Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jaszewski View Post
I'd like to read those comments in context. Can you provide more information on the actual citation. Am am NOT a soil scientist and Lima and others has no reference for me.

That being said, I don't think it's reasonable to look at conventional standards for nutritional requirements when we're working in a biological system. Compost tea changes the rules.....
Isn't that what the article is pointing out? Does the high carbon change the cec ability or not?

I am not a soil scientist either, rather a soil student for many years.
Neither do I have a phd in chemistry. I am just a potatoehead who knows how to read.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Does the high carbon change the cec ability or not?
Yes it does.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

compost

Can anyone tell me if spreading compost (manure and straw) will satisfactorily take the place of chemical fertilization?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

'Green' straw and manure will, of course, kill grass but anything properly composted will aid the turf.
Whether it is able to mobilize the microbes and make available the potential in the soil depends on what the 'potential of the soil' is.
According to conventional wisdom, compost does not contain enough NPK to replace chemical fertilizers. Bottom line!

However, strangely enough, the grass will grow better with compost. [in most soils], [in our northern, neck of the woods].

My suggestion is that you experiment on various plots to see where you stand. Use the teas and anything you think might make it, for your soils and climate. If you fail you will have learned something. But I wouldn't worry too much about that. As long as you don't put too many eggs in the 'organic basket' at first; you can afford the learning curve.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm brand new to this organic stuff. What did you mean by teas? Is that something I can make myself. I want to develop a completely organic lawn care company. I believe that will be a succesfull nich to be in.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will get a lot of responses to tea, I'm sure. Basically it is the microbial habitation of what is in the compost transferred to our lawn.
They aerate the brewing process to 'grow' the populations of the aerobic microbes as opposed to the anaerobic microbes. Because the aerobic microherd is the beneficial microbe.
Yes, you can brew it yourself, in fact, I am buying a brewer along with the compost and the food for the microbes - to use this summer.

The essence of organic turf is that you need only to feed the soil to have the turf perform at a premium. NPK fertilizers are really only vitamin pills that are unnecessary for the healthy plant with proper nutition already. I don't know- maybe a vitamin will bump the energy level some , but, I have not seen that.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an almost inexhaustible supply of well composted manure available to me. can I brew the tea with that? How does the equipment you are getting work? Where can I find out about it?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not going to pass along what has been told me , because I have not yet personally experienced it. What you read and hear are, "salespitches" - from the various vendors. I am buying the K.I.S. brewer because it offers fresh finished product after 'x' number of hours.

Its a whole thing about AACT -vs- compost alone. AM fungi are an important consideration here as well. It is good to have a background in Botany before trying to sift the wheat from the chaff. Eventually, by comparing notes we may have a better idea as to what grass likes and needs.

Research carefully and good luck.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks' Smallax, where can I find information on the brewer? If one can be bought I am sure I can make one to experiment with. I would just need some sales literature and a couple of pictures. I have a couple of acres to experiment on. Will the same vendor that sells the brewer be able to supply me with the material needed also?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Tad Hussey, that comes on here often, makes the KIS brewer, hopefully he'll chime in. simplicatea I believe is the name of the company

http://www.simplici-tea.com/

It is a tried and true brewer that works very well, you can also purchase the compost mix stock from them as well. The blend several different sources of material to make their "compost"