Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spruce Budworm control

In the past we've seen marginal control/reduction in damage from the Eastern Spruce Budworm (usually on firs). We spray in late spring with Acephate. I get conflicting information from other sources, so that's why I'm asking here. What do you guys do? rscvp, Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

C'mon Larry, this is Lawnsite!

I wasn't aware that this pest was in your neck of the woods. I suggest you ask at http://www.arboristsite.com/
or http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Merit.

oops too short have to add some words

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

ever look into arborjet out of MA? Looks like this side of our industry is going to this way for apps.

"Either your Boatswain Mate or you work for one"
Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys --- Several options, now you can see how I get conflicting or different advice. Still not sure what we'll do as foliar sprays are dependent on timing, and every year is different. We are on the western fringe of these rascals, so we don't see a whole lot of outbreaks. Thanks again, americanlawn
Old 03-21-2008, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Foliar spraying is going the way of the dodo with ever increasing drift laws. I use Merit (or an off brand imidicloprid) for any insect that chews/sucks on the plants, including borers. The merit is a systemic and is taken up by the plant. I use a deep root needle to inject into the rootzone of the plant I'm treating. Excellent results and often season long control with 1 application.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Merit controls lacebug, leaf miners, some borers, adelgid and many other pests. It has been shown to be effective for up to 2 years for some pests. It does not control caterpillars, spider mites and many other pests. In many cases there is an increase in mite infestations. Read the label & use it wisely. The overuse of this product is beginning to cause resistance problems and water contamination.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Read the label & use it wisely. The overuse of this product is beginning to cause resistance problems and water contamination.
I read something about Merit disorienting bees to the point they can't make it back to the hive. Probably treehugger's blowing things out of proportion though.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never sprayed for Spruce budworm but I do know Conserve or Talstar works well. I've used Conserve a lot for other caterpillars with good results
Old 03-23-2008, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never sprayed for bud worms but the timing is about the same pine needle scale and aphids.mid april to may .never use neem oil or bt ,but beings a lot of people are lean toward organic and biological control .I would not mind trying the two on tent catepillars ,fall web worms ,spidermites, sod web worms.But I dought I will have the time to .I dont know how expensive azatrol is either . I would quess ,if you used a timed app of merit, it would have to be a folular app or drench combo.timed mal,carbaryl ,diaz is suppose to work . Seven is hard on e.worms and low desidual,malathion stinks like a goat.I think we can still burn up our diazanon ,but dont quote me on that.???? maybe a timed app. of acephate..