Register free!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

bareground soil sterilant

Which soil sterilant do you guys prefer? I have acquired some business from the city I live in and most all of it is fence line, under bleachers, most all places where no other vegitation would be affected. With the cost of Glyphosate, I think it would be cheaper for me in the long run to use a bareground . Any thoughts
Old 03-20-2008, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If this is next to lawns or under trees, you would be wise to maintain this with Ronstar, Barricade or Dimension. I normally mix one of those with my glyphosate and cut down on the amount of times per year I must spray an area. The usual bareground herbicides either kill trees or if water runs from a sprayed area, kills the lawn. If you are maintaining bare ground far away from desirable vegetation, then there are hotter herbicides to use depending on what you need to kill and how long it needs to stay dead.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

The ground is not even close to any trees or wanted lawn. It is all around rodeo arena along fences at fairground, etc. They usually just have Broadleaf and some johnsongrass.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnbridge View Post
The ground is not even close to any trees or wanted lawn. It is all around rodeo arena along fences at fairground, etc. They usually just have Broadleaf and some johnsongrass.
We typically use krovar & karmex xp (diuron), as our bareground chems. If you have Johnson grass, or even bermuda grass, you will have to use an extremely high amount of the krovar to control these grasses.

Just a suggestion though, if its mainly Johnson & some broadleaves, I would use a product from monsanto called Outridder. It works excellent for Johnson grass at the 2 oz. acre rate. For the broadleaves, use anywhere from 5 to 10 lbs. of karmex (diuron). It will also control some grasses as well. The karmex xp (diuron) price per acre isn't too bad either.

If you put these products down in the early spring, you won't have to run any glyphosate or 24-d to control the weeds. We usually apply in the middle of Feb to the middle of Mar. These products need moisture to be moved into the soil to work. Also as stated above in another post, make sure there isn't any desired vegatation around such as tree or shrubs. These products can move several feet if you have heavy rain after you apply.

Good luck,
John..
Joshua 24:15
Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sahara might also work for you. That is a premix of Arsenal & Karmex. I have used Arsenal and was very impressed by its strong postemergent activity. A low volume foliar spray took down 6 ft tall grass and brush. Johnsongrass is susceptable to Arsenal. This also does not run off as much as the high rate of Krovar.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Vegemec from gordons, used by railroads for their tracks, I have used it on Sidewalk and curbs and bare ground for years, best stuff available and cheap.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm new to the business. Currently bidding a soybean processing facility in Ia. 11 acres of rock covered property including RR tracks, production areas, grain bins. Krovar was used previosly, but sounds like there may be better options. Runoff into grass was a problem for them last year.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input. I have lots of choice it looks like. Of course, least expensive but with great results. Sounds too good to be true. I am just sick and tired of the rising cost of everything.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qserve View Post
I'm new to the business. Currently bidding a soybean processing facility in Ia. 11 acres of rock covered property including RR tracks, production areas, grain bins. Krovar was used previosly, but sounds like there may be better options. Runoff into grass was a problem for them last year.
Anything with bromacil(Krovar) or hexazinone(Velpar) runs due to its high water solubility. Since the area was previously nuked with Krovar, you might look into 8 oz Oust + 12 lb of Karmex. Karmex tends to stay in place and it spares trees. I have not seen it bleed into lawns. No, DuPont does not pay me to push their products, but I use them because they work to knock down and keep dead some of the most invasive vegetation I have ever seen.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
you might look into 8 oz Oust + 12 lb of Karmex.
I've used Sahara in the past. I liked it, but it tended to settle in the tank. Last year I used Pramitol. Good product and mixed easily, but it was pretty hard on my pumps. This year I am using the Diuron/Oust at the above rates FWIW.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)