Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sod vs. Seed

I just priced out a sod job for a customer yesterday. The lawn is a little over 3000 sq ft and I quoted around $2000 for sod. I received an email today saying that they're looking to save money and want to look into seed rather than sod. I have a number of companies that I buy sod from but where would I get seed? Also their lawn has some slope to it and I think erosion would cause problems with seed. They want Argentine Bahiagrass
Old 03-20-2008, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk them into sodding it.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking about this all day and I've decided against seeding for them. If I can find someone locally to hydroseed, I'll keep that as an option to maybe save them a little.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get out there and sell them that sod job. If you don't have too much grading to do you got it priced right. At 80 bucks a pallet you have 1500.00 for labor. Less then a day you will walk with 1000.00. I would try to get that job.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fool32696 View Post
I just priced out a sod job for a customer yesterday. The lawn is a little over 3000 sq ft and I quoted around $2000 for sod. I received an email today saying that they're looking to save money and want to look into seed rather than sod. I have a number of companies that I buy sod from but where would I get seed? Also their lawn has some slope to it and I think erosion would cause problems with seed. They want Argentine Bahiagrass
Why are you afraid of dealing with slopes and erosion? As long as the client understands they will have to pay for any additional problems after you seed.
Do they have enough sense to understand about watering seed?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience here in Florida, the downpours we get will move the seed around and you end up with bare spots and clumps.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use an erosion barrier.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
Get out there and sell them that sod job. If you don't have too much grading to do you got it priced right. At 80 bucks a pallet you have 1500.00 for labor. Less then a day you will walk with 1000.00. I would try to get that job.
I AGREE. Sell that job boy.

Just think about it for a few minutes. How many people you know make 1000.00 a day ? In my case not very many. If it was my job I would figure out how much I would walk with and if it was 1000 dollars I would say you don't want to seed. Because by the time you get this yard as thick as sod by overseeding it and aerating it you would have spent more on seed than sod. See what they say then. If they still said no I would then say I really like you and want to help you out and want your future business and I can come down 100 dollars. If they still said no I would then say well thank you for your time and letting me estimate the job but that is th ebest I can do.

RCGM
brad
Old 03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you laying carpet or building a landscape? Sod is a high price which cuts into your profit margin - only to be used when nothing else works.

If you seed in the fall - rake the slope into position for new growth in the spring. If the whole thing washes out , you are back to sod. With proper irrigation and seeding you can blend into established turf (or sod) inside a month.

Let me 'qualify' that statement , by saying, 'This is true of cool season grasses in the midwest and may not be the experience of grasses grown elsewhere.'
Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

We gents from Florida barely know what seeding is. Lately with the drought you could probably make it work. Make sure you understand how to seed. Most of us don't. A seed job is better than sitting at home all day.

Are you getting pallets for $80 bucks?