Register free!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

organic herbicide products that work?

I have a 55 acre univsity account that I have been servicing with amine 2 4-d for some years now. They recently told me they would like to explore more "eco-friendly options to kill dandelions". Are there any products that work well enough to use them on an account w/ comparable results to traditional herbicides? I have never had any luck with so called organic or eco-friendly products to kill anything. Basically wondering if anyone has actually used organic herbicide products, what they were, have they worked, how much more are they,etc. We have a local company around here that markets there green guardian products they use. I have seen some of their lawns and they have still have dandelions, so either they are not treating properly or their products are crap!
Thanks, Rick
Old 03-20-2008, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

i havn't heard of anything that works that well for dandelions. I would go to the organic threads. They would be more than willing to help you out there.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I wanted to know from an unbiased source if this stuff actually works, the guys who actually use non-organic and organic. I would think the organic threads would be a biased source of info and they would tell me anything to jump on the organic band wagon.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not exactly unbiased...stick with the amine product you been using.

product is effective (which equals a good value for the customer),

product will dry fairly quickly (which equals safe...wait, cant use the word safe...so lets go with reliable)

Just tell the good folks at this university that you did "explore" alternatives but you got to stick with what works and is safe, ummm reliable, when used properly (they ought to know this)

Funny thing is, we service a university. They always call like 2 weeks before the graduation ceremony. They want dandelions dead and gone as quickly as possible. (read- stay away from the alternatives and stick with what works)

good luck out there
Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We manufacture a product called The Green Guardian 14-0-5 for spring and 8-0-5 for summer.

It is a liquid applied at 1 quart per 1,000 sq ft.
To provide weed control on areas that are heavily infested we apply 3 applications over a 30 day period to remove about 80% of weeds.

If they are more budget conscious we apply once a month and these heavy areas will hit the same target over about 90 days.

If they want to use a combination program whereas they drop the herbicide by 50% and mix it with our products that will work more effectively than the full rate of herbicide by itself.

For assistance in putting together a program for your client call my cell phone. 651-295-8388 Mark
Old 03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm biased in favor of environmentally responsible lawn care. We sell corn gluten as a pre-emergent. It does not work as well by itself as chemicals. It is also costly.

The best way to reduce the amount of weeds is to develop a thick, healthy turf. Proper fertilization with high organic matter, over seeding, proper mowing height with sharp blades, proper irrigation are all part of a program for healthy turf that will have a positive impact on the environment.

Organic matter not only builds the soil, it also helps suppress diseases and pests, increases nutrient uptake, reduces nutrient runoff and reduces water usage. Over seeding crowds out weeds. Mowing high increases photosynthesis, reduces germination of weed seeds and water usage. Sharp blades reduces disease pressure. Proper irrigation grows deeper root systems.

The smartest lawncare businesses are realizing that public pressure and government regulations are changing the way we have been doing business. They are learning how to grow great lawns without depending so much on chemicals. This is a great opportunity to expand your customer base.

What better way to get government off our backs than to show them that we do care about the environment and are striving to be part of the solution?

Everyone complains about the increasing prices of fertilizers and chemical controls. Learn how you can provide quality lawns while reducing the need for these products.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No offense to Green mark, but i've heard of many guys using his product who have had terrible results.... and by looking on the website, you can kinda get the picture on the results....

just what i've picked up, no personal experience.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is not a single organic material that is labeled to selectively control dandelions. M-Pede is OMRI listed but it is non-selective so when you hit weeds the surrounding turf also dies if it's hit. Since it is a burn down herbicide the deep rooted dandelions can re-sprout. Acetic acid (like industrial vinegar) & salt will also kill dandelions but they are also non-selective. Pricey too!

We sell some Corn Gluten. Corn Gluten can suppress crabgrass at 20 lbs/M first year/10 lbs/M subsequently but only if it is timed correctly & in conjunction with good cultural practices. At the prevailing price of corn I don't have too many people beating my doors down for it this year. $15/1000 is a bit expensive for questionable crabgrass control.

No other fertilizer controls weeds selectively. Period.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mark View Post

remove about 80% of weeds.

If you leave 20% of the weeds , you are developing a super strain of weeds that will produce seeds that will not be controlled with your product .

Right ?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsd View Post
No offense to Green mark, but i've heard of many guys using his product who have had terrible results.... and by looking on the website, you can kinda get the picture on the results....

just what i've picked up, no personal experience.
So , it's just emotional hear say