Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=mobileboy;2273922]Anyone out there doing this full time have an insurance policy for the family that they like? I'm scared to death to leave my current job and the 890 dollar/month blue cross family plan that we're on.

Girls that leave a motivated guy are going to be sorry when they end up with the next mud-head. Serves 'em right. My wife loves the fact that I'm doing this. She came out and helped me finish my last job and had a good time planting annuals and watering everything in. My two year old even planted a marigold. Good times.[/QUOTE

Insurance is a big problem, Im thinking of a policy with a 10000 dectubale that pays 100% after you spend 10000. Its less than 200 per month so If nothing major happens its cheap but if something does happen you dont loose your house

Wish my wife supported me in my endevors, she barley gets off her butt I mean getting out of bed is a big deal for her. Your very luckey to have a wife whom supports your efforts.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Honestly Larry, the $10,000 deductible would finish us off right now. I'd have to secure a home equity loan to do that! Sorry your wife isn't more supportive. I thank my lucky stars that I found one that is super-motivated and can take care of herself. Hell, I'm working 65 hour weeks just trying to contribute my share.

I talked to a couple of insurance folks and they seemed to believe I could secure a policy with a $1,500 deductible (for the whole family) at around $370/mnth. Not cheap, but better than the BC/BS individual prices! I think it would have been through United Health. It's a delima. I can make twice my hourly wage doing landscaping, but there is no guarantee for steady income and no benefits...my normal job is ok, but I love landscaping. It is a tough call. I just want the best for my family.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is how we all feel. I am not to nervous to leave my job and I would in a heart beat but want to make sure its the right time for me and my family. Well I guess I am lucky because I dont have a wife or kids but I do have a car note, house, old sba loan to pay off that suck out more money than a wife.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mobilboy as far as insurance goes 370$ is a good price. For me to get a similar policy as my job provides would cost me around 900, its just to hard to work around that.

So far doing this part time has been fun and its nice to see others in the same boat, it seems us part timers have less to complain about compaired to the full timers, although I do hope to go full time within 2 years
Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Um just a quick comment and this is nothing religious, but ive found that God satisfies me way more than girls.... Girls just seem to let you down ( Alot) Blessed is the one who finds the perfect wife, and in time I hope we all do.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, as far as equal to my current coverage...no. The 370/mnth policy would not even come close, but it would keep us all safe at the least. My current policy is also worth 900 dollars/mnth.

I would need to make at least 55,000 dollars/year at landscaping to justify going full time. I'm not sure how feasible that would be as a one man operation. If anyone has any feedback on this, I'd love to hear about it.

Rebelsday, that sure sounds religious! lol. I don't mind religion, but I've always goten alot of satisfaction from girls!!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ha ha so have I. As far as making money. I think you could make 55K a year just by yourself but truth be told you make your money by other people doing the work for you. People make money because they can deligate I am waiting for my business to be big enough so I dont have to be on a crew but still live my lifestyle but with out my job. Should be 18 months.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes Im in the same boat as well---full time job --401-k health insur. pension,stocks. 17 years in. Easy job-yes, makeing the same money now as I did 17 years ago I have four girls 13,10,5,2 and I NEED insurance for them. I have been mowing for the last four years and also build decks and sheds and also small remodels in the winter time when Im not plowing. I love doing that, but Im really getting busy and as soon as my little girls get out of daycare, Ill be saving 1200 a month sorry to rant, but my QUESTION is my CPA told me I can only do this one more year and then IRS calls in a "hobby" and I have to choose what job I want to do. Has any one been told that?

www.4daughterslandscape.com
Old 04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you could asnd should make 55k, but it might take 2 years. Back in 1992 when I had my full time business I was in the same boat, I needed about 50k to survive. I did bearley survuve, however I had nothing left to expand my business. No telling how many aeration jobs I missed and had to rent trenchers on sprinkler jobs.

The biggest thinge besides the insurance keeping me part time is Im building a new house and remolding a nother house by myself. My brain inst big enough to handle one more major project like starting a full time business. I figure I sholud be done in around 18 months or 2 years max, then full time here I come.

As far as that IRS question I think at some point in time you will have to show a profit.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I've never heard of the IRS telling someone they have to choose between their full-time and part-time jobs after xxx-years. Then again, I really don't know much about anything, so I'm not the one to be commenting on this.

4 girls...that makes me a little dizzy. One wild 2 year old is wiping us out! I can't even imagine. My older bro has 3 girls and a 5 year-old son. I don't know how you guys do it and work so many hours. You've got my respect!!

Point taken about labor making the money. I just don't want that kind of overhead right now. There is something very relaxing about being a one-man-crew, and I truely love the work. Get in, make huge changes, make customer smile, get paid, GET OUT! That's what I like about landscaping. It's just the opposite of my normal job.