Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

applying copper sulfate to ponds...

when is the best and most efficient time to apply copper sulfate to ponds with a moderate to mild unwanted vegetation problem. Its my own personal pond, so theres no customer satisfaction to be considered, just wanting to know when to apply for optimum results. thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

xdevil_07x

I am not sure My pond schedule here in Florida would work for you. Our growing season is year round. I find in the start of our dry season as the ponds get low, more algae grows. Depending on how clear or muddy your pond is will also effect algae as well as flowing water through your pond. Damned ponds with no or little flow will produce more algae.

Check out Grass Eating Carp in your area. They are sterile and don't reproduce. They are environmental friendly and do a great job of controlling most submerged weeds including algae. Yes we still have to apply Copper sulfate to stagnant ponds with out flow. Those ponds generally must have aeration for the fish.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i start treatments in mid-spring when the temps are 60+ and we have consistant sunlight. here in central-indiana thats about mid april. copper culfate is not very effective cooler then that, and also can put stress on the fish. early spring and mid summer you should use caution and spot spray the copper sulfate and use the lower rates. if you have grass carp, trout, koye(sp) etc., copper sulfate will float them in a matter of hours. if its for your own pond, and you want a better product, then use curtrine. it's chelated copper product and will stay in suspension in the water longer. also add some pond dye, that will help keep the algae under wraps. i scedule pond treatments about every 4-6weeks depending on outbreaks of algae, some i need to treat weekly. use a lawn fert with NO 'P' and keep organics such as leaves, branches, and grass clipping out of the pond. grass carp will not eat algae, and are not all that great, atleast up here in the north. the best way of using grass carp (triploid) if you must is to 1. buy them when there 3yrs old and 2. get them out of te pond when there 6yrs old. any time before 3 and after 6, they don't do squat. dont eat very much before 3 and roll around fat and not eat very much after 6.

Last edited by teeca; 03-23-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

heres a link to a guy that sells them http://www.aquaticmanagement.com/grasscarp.htm he has a little different eating habit time line, but it is still pretty consistant with research.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey jerry, throw some BIG fireworks into the pond, hahahah