Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We got our fert done already 1 1/2 skids but we only have a few customers. I send fussy customers to the Weedman. Looks like spraying will be starting real soon the pretty yellow flowers are coming up quick. Anybody wondering what's going to happen next year with the new law? Cosmetic purposes, I spray weeds for ecomomical reasons,, my wallet. Actually we sell customers on spraying to save them a few cuts each year. When it's dry the only thing that needs to be cut is the weeds, if we spray they can skip a couple of cuts. The grass doesn't look as bad when it's longer either. We lost a couple of lawns and picked up a couple so we're holdong our own. My cube van didn't pass the yearly inspection, rusty frame so off the road it goes. I have the Ford handicap as backup so now I have to get a door and ramps on it quick.

Daner, I might be able to make the 10th. We're at 2 auction sales on the 3rd. PM me your addy and maybe we'll bike down/over. My wife's sister lives in Maryhill so she might be keen.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple L View Post
it all goes on how much money you make, do u wanna share that with us? If you make $30-35000 u can expect to be paying at least $90 / month, and it goes up from there... phone around bud, I welcome you to this site seeing that your a fairly new member, only 4 posts and have been in business for 0 years as your public profile says. but some stuff you just gotta find out yourself...... how much should I expect to be paying for insurance on my truck? thats pretty vage, there are alot of vairables... vary similar to the question you asked... you can learn alot of stuff here on lawn n' plowsite and the group of ontario landscapers we got going here are simply awsome people....
I have no problem sharing. New around here, yes, but I've have been doing this part-time for several years but am now doing it full time. I never really thought about insurance although I admit I should have. I don't do plowing at the present time, so we're talking only about lawn maintenance. I fully intend to check around and do my own leg work. but I'm a big fan of forums such as this. My experience has shown me that those with a wealth of knowledge in their field, are eager to help out those without and where questions with the most obvious answers can be asked. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynden-Jeff View Post
Wanna help me make one for my 52!!! I have large amounts of beer lol

Cheers
Jeff

Yaa better check It out first Jeffy...I'm just learning to weld...I hope It dont fall apart

Cantoo...Message sent to yaa
Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
Yaa better check It out first Jeffy...I'm just learning to weld...I hope It dont fall apart

Cantoo...Message sent to yaa
Just learning to weld lol. Didn't you have a welding shop for 25 years! looking forward to checkin it out next weekend.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple L View Post
it all goes on how much money you make, do u wanna share that with us? If you make $30-35000 u can expect to be paying at least $90 / month, and it goes up from there... phone around bud, I welcome you to this site seeing that your a fairly new member, only 4 posts and have been in business for 0 years as your public profile says. but some stuff you just gotta find out yourself...... how much should I expect to be paying for insurance on my truck? thats pretty vage, there are alot of vairables... vary similar to the question you asked... you can learn alot of stuff here on lawn n' plowsite and the group of ontario landscapers we got going here are simply awsome people....

Yea BEFORE I started plowing it was about $90 for around 50,000 income. Now its about $290 for snow plowing lol.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Daner, got the message thanks. My uncle lives right around the corner from you. I've never been there yet either. Wife informs me we are having a firewood cutting bee at my father in laws that day as well as my Dad's 75 birthday. I'm trying to do my share of the cutting beforehand so I can make the meet. If it's like anything else we do I end up doing the work while they watch and drink.
We lost one lawn today and gained two others so the dollars stay about the same. The one we lost was abit of a drive anyway and the other two are close to some we already have.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Some fert. Warm rain like we had today, and boom the grass will just fly out of the ground.
We spot cut last week, but I'm sure it will be a full cut this coming week.

Anyone heard predictions for the type of summer that we are gonna have? Is it dry, wet, normal, (whatever normal is).
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVries View Post
Some fert. Warm rain like we had today, and boom the grass will just fly out of the ground.
We spot cut last week, but I'm sure it will be a full cut this coming week.

Anyone heard predictions for the type of summer that we are gonna have? Is it dry, wet, normal, (whatever normal is).
The almanac is predicting an average summer with a few warm days and average rainfall, but they called for rain all through April, and it never came so it's anyone's guess.

Cantoo, met you on the Highway last night at Kingsbridge, I see you and the wife are at the grass, my guys start today, and hopefully all goes well.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ff1221, small world eh? I think I met one of your trucks at the Timbr mart corner in Kincardine this afternoon. Your's is more yellow than mine I think. It was actually my wife and daughter that you met at Kingsbridge. I think she had our orange Chev the 20' trailer with the 2 Bobcats on it. They were cutting some bigger properties down that way. Her Dad lives just south of there a couple of miles, not sure if you know the place but it's a big brown brick house and used to be surrounded with apple orchards. We used to sell asparagus and other crops. She cuts Thompson's elevator's and a few others.
Tomorrow I'm digging a house north of Tiverton near the hydro towers and the new windmills. Jackson is doing the digging I haven't worked with them for quite a few years so we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantoo View Post
ff1221, small world eh? I think I met one of your trucks at the Timbr mart corner in Kincardine this afternoon. Your's is more yellow than mine I think. It was actually my wife and daughter that you met at Kingsbridge. I think she had our orange Chev the 20' trailer with the 2 Bobcats on it. They were cutting some bigger properties down that way. Her Dad lives just south of there a couple of miles, not sure if you know the place but it's a big brown brick house and used to be surrounded with apple orchards. We used to sell asparagus and other crops. She cuts Thompson's elevator's and a few others.
Tomorrow I'm digging a house north of Tiverton near the hydro towers and the new windmills. Jackson is doing the digging I haven't worked with them for quite a few years so we'll see how it goes.
I just sold one of my trucks to the local Home Hardware last week, might have been that one, if it had a yellow dump insert. It was the Orange chevy that I met, we were coming back from Tillsonburg, picked up a new dump insert from a company down there. I know the place where your wifes dad lives, we are usually to Goderich once or twice a month. Good luck with the dig tomorrow, Gary Jackson is a pretty good operator, we had him out to a house fire and a barn fire to tear some stuff apart for us, hopefully you'll get him. Here's some pics of the new dump insert.
Attached Images

Last edited by ff1221; 05-06-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Tags
suggestion