Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2008, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Musclecarboy, is that your new ride on your avatar, if so I'm movin' to Toronto, that's where the money is. I can't wait to get back to working, we're lined up for a boatload of hardscape and garden installs, and we've been busy with the homeshow circuit. Nice to have an Ontario thread, great idea.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm starting up South Coast- I've been doing this sorta off and on with a regular job on the side for 5 years. I do service a large area- but only certain jobs will make me drive from my location (near Tillsonburg) to, say, Niagara Falls for instance or Hamilton. The higher paying ones. I was considering setting up accounts across SW Ontario and contracting them out to locals, but naw, it's better if everyone does their own thing. I'm still playing with some ideas though. The site isn't done yet. That's why most of the links are dead. Lets just put it this way. I'm leaving some options open. But at the same time, I may be moving out west later this summer, cause I met a girl up there (I'm single) but that's very unsure right now, so if it comes to that point, I may have a bunch of accounts up for grabs in mid-to-late summer.
  • 5x8' custom home-built trailer
  • Old Bolens ST110 42" cut mower (works great)
  • 2 cheap push mowers
  • Poulan String Trimmer (does the job)
  • Poulan Pro 18" chainsaw (never failed yet)
  • Case of Molson 24 on board at all times to make it fun (lol)
Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like I may have pulled the trigger on a 20 ft black enclosed trailer. Boy is it sexy. Hopefully the financing goes through! Where did Daner the maner go.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hi guys, the wife just got home from a week in Cuba and says I have to get equipment ready to go. Looks like a late start to the season but that will give me more time to get ready. We don't do any advertising so nothing to get ready for that. I never built my flatbed dump on the 3/4 ton chev truck we bought yet so I should get started on it. I did keep the old truck so if I don't get it done it's no big deal. The cube van has to go in for the yearly inspection but it's surrounded by 3' of snow and I'm too lazy to move the snow so that'll have to wait. I haven't got fert or chemical prices yet so we're not quoting anything until I have some firm prices, not gonna start off the year losing money.
ff1221, I'm pretty close to you. I live near Lucknow and run along the lake from Goderich to Kincardine. Our closest account to you is in Heritage Heights. We do one of the Bruce Power guy's lawn, well my wife does I just tell everyone I do the work. Tomorrow I'll be in Tiverton doing my day job. If you see a big stick in the air and a house flying overhead that's me and my guys. We drive blue trucks.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Cantoo, we should get together for a cold one, I got some leads on a few residentials if you are interested, are you doing Hawthorn's place? Are you slinging a Quality or a Royal tomorrow, if it's a Quality, a buddy of mine might be stitchin it, he lives up there. Good hearing from you, by the way who else has blue trucks beside Collins Construction?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry Cantoo, just dawned on me, Royal
Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello everyone ,great site guys. Just starting out in landscaping and would like to form alliances with anyone who s interested. I have been in the construction industries for some time now and have access to pits and quarries. I own a tri_axle dump truck and can provide material in bulk deliverd at a good price such as:armour stone from$75 a ton,screening,3/4 crush-$30 a ton. My target area is Milton, looking for any work that could be thrown my way. Looking forward to the upcoming season and building some alliances with some of you.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Zam-silva.
I might be interested in the armour stone. Where does it come from and at $75.00 per ton where is that delivered to. Do you off load or do I need to? Let me know.
Al
Old 03-25-2008, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

The armour stone for $75 is from a farm in Flamborugh.Its golden brown in colour and basically I dump it where ever you want it.Depending on where you live I will charge a delivery charge but if your close to me its $75 a ton cash on delivery.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ff1221, yup the big blue ones. I'm not allowed to say the Q word, everytime I do a little of my soul goes to heck. Is your buddy Chad? He's doing a house for me in a little while. He works for both of us. Today was a bust, too windy to set we have to sling over a neighbour house and risk of dropping on it with the wind gusts was too much. We're trying again tomorrow morning but I'm only going to be there a couple of hours. Louie from Collins just lives down the road from me, small world isn't it?
My wife does the Hawthorne place when he's too busy. She also does the interior cleaning. I supervised the house building and some on going maintenance so it's works for us. Seems I'm there every couple of weeks. She's the only one who actually works so we're as busy as she can be. I help out on weekends and do equipment maintenance to keep her running. I'm also pretty keen on auction sales so it keeps me busy. We buy and sell in our spare time.
Do you do any gravel sweeping? We run a JD with a front mount sweeper but I'm looking for one for my Steiner.

Tags
suggestion