Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2008, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFFMOBILEWASH View Post
On the gas vs diesel delema I'm at a cross road again. A few years back everything in the fleet was diesel, then I had some issues with a few injector pumps and went back to gas. Not with the cost of fuel rising again the diesel is looking good again. I think it is going to come down to what is the best deal on a given aution.

While we are talking about cool gagets, has anyone installed any GPS systems into thier trucks. Thought it would be a good idea in the winter in case of a lawsuit. If these systems could be tracked using your at home computer it would take the guesswork out of when you got there and the time you left plus the date and times would be trackable.

DAFF
The guy I subbed for this year had GPS tracking on all his trucks and his salt truck with a salter sensor. I will definatly have this next year. I did just get a device from telus called an asset tracker which is a small sticky pad sized tracking device that pings ever 30 minutes for $30 a month. Will tell you where that peice of equipment its. Pretty cool.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So just hooked up 10,000 flyers for delivery. Woot
Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow 10,000 flyers? Are you delivering them your self or does the post office do it for you? I have never advertised like that. Does it pay off?
I have my entire crew starting tomorrow. First meeting in the morning and then time for spring cleanups.
Here come the blisters
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Hoping to get started next week on a small deck and walkway project, we're to busy to even think about yard cleanups, besides I hate them, and none of the cheapskates around here want to pay the hourly rates to have their yard cleaned, some kid will do it for $10 per hour. Besides the Ontario government will give college and university students $3000 to start their own business so they all become Landscapers, instead of giving us $3000 and letting us give them the experience they need. Sorry that's my rant, but every summer 3 more "landscapers" show up here, the latest ad says "best rates", and i'm sure the work reflects those rates.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1221 View Post
Hoping to get started next week on a small deck and walkway project, we're to busy to even think about yard cleanups, besides I hate them, and none of the cheapskates around here want to pay the hourly rates to have their yard cleaned, some kid will do it for $10 per hour. Besides the Ontario government will give college and university students $3000 to start their own business so they all become Landscapers, instead of giving us $3000 and letting us give them the experience they need. Sorry that's my rant, but every summer 3 more "landscapers" show up here, the latest ad says "best rates", and i'm sure the work reflects those rates.
I went through that program LOL. It isn't anything special, I just used the money to boost my existing business.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Maintenance crew started this week with litter pick up. These sites are a mess because there was no time over the winter.

How's every ones year looking?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just starting trash pickup. No contracted cleanups until after the 15th when the contracts start! The flyers work out well, I send about 30,000 every year at minimum. Post office does it for around .10$ a flyer.

Cheers.
Jeff
Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ff, I noticed a couple new ads in the local papers the last few weeks. This usually gets our regulars calling us making sure we are thinking of them. It's going to take awhile for the ground to dry up before we can start sweeping. Got a couple of calls for lawn rolling this week, another job my wife hates. Have a couple of sod repairs to do whenever it gets dry, snowblowers are always good for some work.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we aint rolling out till atleast the 15th, my walker will get stuck instantly now or will be leaving mega ruts, plus my trailer is still barried under 3' of snow, I certainly aint shovelling that crap. Had the new dumper out last week tho delivering a manure spreader I was ticked, brand new trailer and the battery was totally shot, charged it for a week and only got it about 1' up.... so $150 later put a transport truck battery in there, no goofin around
Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I was pissed last fall when I lost about 6 clean-up jobs because of the snow. Now I'll just have that much more work this year

Tags
suggestion