Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, but that's what this site's for -- and I've had lots of help too.

Also keep service in mind. If you do your own, get a service manual (what mechanics refer to) for it. Find out if parts are supplied from a Canadian depot or if you'll have to order everything from the US. All things being equal, get one from a local dealer who supplies parts and service. If you have a choice of mid or front deck, you'll find a discussion of the pros and cons elsewhere on this site. Whichever, try to pretend you're ready to service the underside and see what's involved.

And it's adventageous to include in the purchase a few years worth of consumables like filters and blades.

Finally, be aware that some brands void the usual warranty if they know it's being used commercially rather than personally. (But other brands are designed for commercial work so they don't differentiate.)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a question and it may be a stupid one, but I would like a clear answer.

Our industry is a compulsory WSIB industry. I don't need WSIB as a solo operator do I? I mean, it seems obvious to me because WSIB is for employees, but still...I sort of want a straight answer - I have a commercial contract lined up but he mentioned proof of WSIB and I said I will be doing them myself and he said...uh..uh... I want the contract so I sort of need to know 100% either way.

Anyone run into this and know the answer 100%?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

-Our industry is a compulsory WSIB industry. MOST BUSINESS IN ONTARIO ARE.
-I don't need WSIB as a solo operator do I? NO, AND I DON'T THINK YOU CAN EVEN GET IT FOR YOURSELF. EXPLAIN THAT YOU HAVE RE-CHECKED THE REQUIREMENTS AND YOU KNOW THAT IF AND WHEN YOU HIRE ANY EMPLOYEE, YOU WILL REGISTER WITH WSIB WITHIN THE TEN DAYS YOU ARE ALLOWED.
- he mentioned proof of WSIB and I said I will be doing them myself and he said...uh..uh... IF THE UH UH MEANT "NO," HE IS WRONG.
-AND HEY -- LIZ WITMER LIVES DOWN THE STREET FROM ME!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Good stuff again man, I did find a PDF finally that spelled it out fully as well so now I'm totally confident. As a small guy getting five at a time would be nice so I hope I get it and then hopefully buy that gravely prostance linked in this thread which I think is perfect mower for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

You should register with wsib and have an account. It does not cost anything, then if you ever have partime help they are automaticaly covered. You have a window to report or you just pay every three months if you have anything to report. its like under 5.00 per 100 dollars of wages. they send you a form with the rate. Its not to complicated. then if you line up certain work that you may reqiure extra help even if one day you are covered. Some bigger jobs the company may ask for a clearence certificate. its just a form that shows your help is covered under WSIB.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh, okay, that sounds allright. I'm going to set up an account, that sounds smart, thanks man. I thought it was a lot higher per $, that's not too bad at all.

So basically I set up an account and say I have no employees, and then you just regularly report something like "employee wages $____0___", unless you do have a wage to report and then you shoot them off a cheque for your rate based on the wages paid you report. That's pretty slick and easy to be honest. Cool, cool cool cool.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where does everyone get their tires for mowers? I need a set for my stander i picked up, they are pretty worn down. Pretty sure they are 18x8x10 and the local Wright dealer wants $85 + $25 to mount. Seemed a little steep my buddy thought they shouldn;t be more then $50 each.

Thanks. I could be wrong on the size they are pretty worn down, I will look up the spec.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Five Points, WSIB registration is free and can be done electronically, but someone just starting out may not have some of the data needed such as business and tax registration numbers.

Gilmore, there's mower-parts (maybe even mower-wheel) sites you can google. Even paying shipping from the US, the cost will be a fraction of local.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your SOLO, you can also get a Independent Operator Status Number too, that proves your exempt form WSIB, but gives you a number for customers that require it.

4-33" Sutech W/B's
3-Ariens 21"s
2-stroke Com-Lawnboy 21"s
Stihl trim/edge/blow
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I've sent off an email to the guy saying I don't need it, but will also register for future ease.

Any opinions on whether or not having a fixed deck on a 34" stander would be a horrible idea for me and my scalping concerns - assuming I love everything else about the mower (and it's really hard to find a smaller mower used)?

Tags
suggestion