Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

What about prep. courses. What did you all pay? I think I payed about $125 for pest control in 92'. The lawn and ornamental prep. was the same.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

in rhode island all you need to do is find someone with a license and photocopy it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're going to get a lot of varied answers- like anything preparation is key.

I agree with Atlantic- NC was pretty easy but I knew my stuff. Passed on the first try with little studying.

After it was over I heard people talking about how hard it was and I was amazed. They had trouble with AI rates per 1000 sq feet and calculating %'s and sq footages. Clearly a lack of planning but to them, it was hard. It's not like calculating the sq. footage of an L shaped box is difficult- they just didn't prepare.
"Now the guy's gotta come up with Paulie's money every week no matter what...'Business bad?- screw you, pay me.' 'Oh, you had a fire?- Screw you, Pay me.' 'Place got hit by lightning huh?, SCREW YOU, PAY ME'

- Ray Liotta as Henry Hill in Goodfellas
Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oklahoma, 200 questions on the core i think, scored a 94. Just read it in bed each night for a few weeks before the test.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Spray Man

Florida has the hardest test in the nation followed by NY and Calf. Pass rate for the Florida test is less than 50% and most people testing are sitting for it for at least the second if not 4th or 5th time. I tested when Dr Sung wrote the tests. Most questions had at least 2 if not 4 correct answers, But which Answer was more correct was the trick. Many States sell the license at the local drug store, or so it seem from the question ask on the Internet.
May I see a link that shows these statistics as I would be interested in seeing state ranking from hardest to easiest? Did it ever occur to you that some states may breed people less intelligent than other states?
What agency says these are the hardest tests?
Could it not be factored in that it may just have something to do with the individual sitting for the test?
Some people can memorize loads of information easily, and have an ability to comprehend quickly. Others may have to really work at memorizing facts.
It's all in the individual.

As for the PA core and turf, I studied over the weekend, and passed on Monday.
There were people there I had talked to that were sitting for their 2nd and 3rd time.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The test in and of itself is a bit like the DMV driving test, all multiple choice some are very obvious there are a few tricky ones but then there are the technical garbage at least in my case that will kick yo' butt and yes because I thought it would be easy I have failed the driver's license test before!

And I've been driving for 20+ years and have a spotless driving record so don't you think I know what I'm doing?
Right, so then why did I fail the test?

It is much of the same, you get this question of how many of this thing you need to do that and the choices are: a) 400 b) 34 c) 35 d) 36, and in my book 34-36 is good enough any of those will do but on the test itself you have to know the right answer or it is a fail.

You know it is like drinking and driving wow what a concept the simple answer is don't drink and drive bac .00 always 100% sober blam you have no problems... But on the test they want to know what is the LEGAL BAC and you have to know this stupid answer because "just don't do it" isn't good enough, for me it is, but for the answer it will not do and that choice does not exist for an answer.

So, study up and study up good or you might fail this teh test,
probably the best advise you might get from me this year

Peace out and good luck

Last edited by topsites; 03-25-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Nobody has talked about how many books they had to read for the test. I think this has a lot to do with how hard the test is. I did a little research:

For the Florida pest control test that was given in early March this is the list of books to read:

1. Applying Pesticides Correctly (240 pages)
2. General Household Pest Control (256 pages)
3. Pests In And Around The Home (359 pages)
4. Imported fire ants on lawns and turf (12 pages)
5. Pest management practices for protection of water resources in Florida ( 63 pages)
6. Chapter 482 - Florida Pest Control Law (34 pages)
7. Chapter 5E-14 - Florida Pest Control Regulations (27 pages)

Try to memorize these in a couple of months.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

In Kentucky .....

You have to read a 96 page CORE book which is "Applying Pesticides" correctly i think ...... then you have a to read a 26 page category specific book which is very easy reading mostly pictures.....Like I said earlier in a post Kentucky did away with the core test so you only have to take a test worth 75 for operators and 50 for applicators... used to it was 175 to 150.... Overall the test was a joke common sense things ... another thing is pricing, in Ky its 25 dollars...
Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hate it when they throw in the none of the above, or all of the above, i also hate things open to inturpritation. When I took my haz mat cdl they had a question something along the lines of " your in a MVA you notice that a hazardous material container is leaking" what do you do? They wanted the answer open container and determine what is leaking. I didnt pick it, I chalanged it with the state dot enforcement. Im on a fire dept and i can tell you that scene safety is me, my crew, noone goes into a haz mat scene without ppe on. I read into it too much he said, he had another fire fighter question it on the same grounds.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom View Post
May I see a link that shows these statistics as I would be interested in seeing state ranking from hardest to easiest? Did it ever occur to you that some states may breed people less intelligent than other states?
What agency says these are the hardest tests?
Could it not be factored in that it may just have something to do with the individual sitting for the test?
Some people can memorize loads of information easily, and have an ability to comprehend quickly. Others may have to really work at memorizing facts.
It's all in the individual.

As for the PA core and turf, I studied over the weekend, and passed on Monday.
There were people there I had talked to that were sitting for their 2nd and 3rd time.
That would be because there aren't any statistics. From reading this board, which states are easy and which are more difficult begins to clarify it. In some states, you can take the test EVERY single day until you pass. Only Connecticut has slides that require the testee to identify insects and diseases. They also have an oral exam. That is MUCH more difficult than the "take the test everyday" states.

In NY, the Core isn't hard, but the category exam is. My favorite question was how many generations does the birch leaf miner produce each year? PA and NY use the same CORE manual, but the tests are different. Same CORE manual in Connecticut. MA too.

To say that people in some states might be more stupid than others.... yer kiddin, right? I think the pass/fail rate is a pretty good indicator of difficulty. NY is around 50%, Florida is lower, and so is Connecticut. I think PA was aorund 80%. Iowa is like 95%. In NY, if you fail, you wait 30 days to retest. Fail again,and you wait 90 days, and have to take an 8 hour course. Fail again, come back next year.

It's obvious.... some states let you pass if you can hit the urinal with one hand. In others, you have to study.