Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I think paying for the prep course is worth it. They give you study questions that are on the test. *This is Mass.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
That would be because there aren't any statistics. From reading this board, which states are easy and which are more difficult begins to clarify it. In some states, you can take the test EVERY single day until you pass. Only Connecticut has slides that require the testee to identify insects and diseases. They also have an oral exam. That is MUCH more difficult than the "take the test everyday" states.

In NY, the Core isn't hard, but the category exam is. My favorite question was how many generations does the birch leaf miner produce each year? PA and NY use the same CORE manual, but the tests are different. Same CORE manual in Connecticut. MA too.

To say that people in some states might be more stupid than others.... yer kiddin, right? I think the pass/fail rate is a pretty good indicator of difficulty. NY is around 50%, Florida is lower, and so is Connecticut. I think PA was aorund 80%. Iowa is like 95%. In NY, if you fail, you wait 30 days to retest. Fail again,and you wait 90 days, and have to take an 8 hour course. Fail again, come back next year.

It's obvious.... some states let you pass if you can hit the urinal with one hand. In others, you have to study.
Once again, I'll ask. Where are these statistics of these percentages coming from?
I would like to see a link that shows me the pass/fail rate per state since these percentages are being thrown around. In your first sentence you say there are no statistics, but then you know the percentages of the pass/fail rates. Are you basing those numbers on what people post here as to their own personal experience with taking the test? I don't get it.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've taken the Massachusetts test three times and passed it all three times. Why three times, you may ask? I took it in 2001 for my General Applicator's License and passed. Then in 2003, I took it again to become Certified in Trees and Shrubs and passed that. In 2006, I took and passed it to become a Dealer.

I also took the Rhode Island test back in 2002 and passed that as well. I've since let that license expire because I no longer have a need for it.

All in all, none of them were really hard but like any test of magnitude, the nervous jitters never stop until your results have been given. It all comes down to the studying. If you take the time to read and have someone quiz you on a regular basis, you should pass with no problems. It's a multiple choice test with 125 questions. Don't let the multiple choice part fool you! On some questions, you'll have four answers to choose from. One of them you can throw out the window, the 2nd one you'll think about and then throw it out, and then you'll be left with two choices. Out of those two, they BOTH could be the answer. You have to choose the one that makes the most logical sense or is the most important answer.

The part I had the most trouble with, dealt with the LABEL. Halfway through the test, I came upon four or five questions in a row where I couldn't figure out the answers at all. I filled out what I though was the answers but didn't feel comfortable with ANY of them. I made little stars next to them so that I could review them at the end of the test. I then turned the page and there was a label. I then read the label and it all became clear. THOSE QUESTIONS ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE, dealt with the Label! I erased my answers and then chose the correct ones, based on the label on the following page.

I've often wondered how many people got those questions wrong because they couldn't figure out that they pertained to the label on the following page. I think that the Pesticide Bureau is testing us not only on what we know, but on how we can figure things out on our own as well.

Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 03-25-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom View Post
May I see a link that shows these statistics as I would be interested in seeing state ranking from hardest to easiest? Did it ever occur to you that some states may breed people less intelligent than other states?What agency says these are the hardest tests?
Could it not be factored in that it may just have something to do with the individual sitting for the test?
Some people can memorize loads of information easily, and have an ability to comprehend quickly. Others may have to really work at memorizing facts.
It's all in the individual.

As for the PA core and turf, I studied over the weekend, and passed on Monday.
There were people there I had talked to that were sitting for their 2nd and 3rd time.
OMB

Sure I have. While there are a few states known for Telephone pole family trees, let us not go there. This industry already attracts illiterate individuals such as non English speaking, because they can survive in this industry without an education. I would like to blame testing levels of different states on insect pressure and welfare politics.

As for any statistics on state tests, I can't remember ever seeing such a study. However Florida requires 3 years working for a Certified & Licensed company or a college education and one year working for a certified & license company to even sit for the test. Even with those requirement, there is still a less than 50% passing rate. Each category test is 200 questions and as stated before the multiply choice answers may all be correct, Which answer is more correct is what makes Florida tests so hard. BTW Florida Aquatic, road & rideaway and a few other certifications are idiot type tests that any one can pass.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
OMB

Sure I have. While there are a few states known for Telephone pole family trees, let us not go there. This industry already attracts illiterate individuals such as non English speaking, because they can survive in this industry without an education. I would like to blame testing levels of different states on insect pressure and welfare politics.

As for any statistics on state tests, I can't remember ever seeing such a study. However Florida requires 3 years working for a Certified & Licensed company or a college education and one year working for a certified & license company to even sit for the test. Even with those requirement, there is still a less than 50% passing rate. Each category test is 200 questions and as stated before the multiply choice answers may all be correct, Which answer is more correct is what makes Florida tests so hard. BTW Florida Aquatic, road & rideaway and a few other certifications are idiot type tests that any one can pass.
So back to your first post, you based your answer of the 3 hardest tests on your opinion. thank you.
And while I do agree that the state of Florida makes it difficult for a green industry professional to obtain a license, I can not agree the ACTUAL TEST is hard unless I would take it.
Did the state of Florida tell you the pass/fail rate? Or do you sit outside the testing room asking each applicant after they are done, "hey,do you think you passed or failed?"
To wrap this up, I conclude there is no such thing as a hard test, anything can be studied and memorized.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OMB

Trying to argue with a moderator is a lose lose situation. I have been told by my college professors and others in the industry, Florida Certification testing is the hardest in the nation. I have taken the certification tests in Florida and can guarantee they are not easy.

The Past-Fail ratio is public information and all universities and CEU education providers have excess to that information. The pass fail is broken down according to education or experience qualification for sitting for the test. Those with college educations have a much higher pass rate as would be expected.

BTW It took me a little more than one week end of study to pass on the first try. But then this is Florida and not the Commonwealth of Penna. I am told by your old buddy Lawrence Stone, the Penna test is (In His Humble Opinion) a Joke. He claims the Commonwealth of Penna is only interested in Applicators having Insurance and paying their licensing fees. But then you might of confirmed his statement by admitting you only studied for one week end in order to pass.

PS A fact of Life is Certification and Job performance are not necessarily related. We all have seen educated idiots and uneducated genius. I had an employee who forgot more about irrigation than 20 year techs knew, yet he couldn't pass the irrigation test.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OMB

BTW I had a college PhD professor who took the L&O certification test and failed. He scored very high on the L&O but failed the core part which had Florida Law which he didn't study. He never re-tested. This is the same guy who I have on speed dial as my main "go to guy".

Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
OMB

BTW I had a college PhD professor who took the L&O certification test and failed. He scored very high on the L&O but failed the core part which had Florida Law which he didn't study. He never re-tested. This is the same guy who I have on speed dial as my main "go to guy".
poor guy..
Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a note about PA...the Core test is closed book, but the turf and ornamental tests are open book. If you never took the time to read the study material you would never be able to answer all the questions in the time they give you, even with the open book!
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneLawn&Landscaping View Post
Just a note about PA...the Core test is closed book, but the turf and ornamental tests are open book. If you never took the time to read the study material you would never be able to answer all the questions in the time they give you, even with the open book!
You are exactly right on that one. Saying it's open book is misleading, because you are screwed if you didn't study that book. Just not enough time to find the answers otherwise.