Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I take the Ornamental and Turf exam tomorrow in FL, guess i'll find out how hard it really is
Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom View Post
Once again, I'll ask. Where are these statistics of these percentages coming from?
I would like to see a link that shows me the pass/fail rate per state since these percentages are being thrown around. In your first sentence you say there are no statistics, but then you know the percentages of the pass/fail rates. Are you basing those numbers on what people post here as to their own personal experience with taking the test? I don't get it.
Like I said, spending some time in this forum gives one a gut feel for how hard the etsing is in various states, and I've seen people post their states pass/fail % here.... where did they get that info? Maybe the same way I got mine for NYS. Pat Voges, who has a credit in the NYS category manual, who taught my 30 hour course, and is the single most connected-powerful guy who represents the landscape indistry in NYS (he is the guy who runs the NSLGA, a local LCO assoc with 1700 members, and knows people like H Clinton and C Schumer on a first name basis) said the rate was about 50% in NY. Good enough for me, if not for anyone else.

I don't particularly care about any of this one way or the other, as long as I passed and got certified. There is no doubt that some states are very stringent, and others are not. If you can't understand that, you are in a vacuum. You want to believe whatever you want to.... people in some states are born stupid, whatever. Frakly, you are starting to sound like you might be from one of those "stupid states".
Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaChris View Post
I take the Ornamental and Turf exam tomorrow in FL, guess i'll find out how hard it really is
Boca Chris

You must work for Statewide on the Island???? I moved off Island back in 1996. I haven't been back on the Island in about 5 years. Last time I was on the Island I didn't recognize it. A lot has changed.

If you went to Palmer and did what he told you, you will do fine.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

No, I work for Boca Bay. "Gated Community" I suppose you would say. Island changes every day it seems
Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaChris View Post
No, I work for Boca Bay. "Gated Community" I suppose you would say. Island changes every day it seems
Chris

I remember when Boca Bay was the railroad yard. CSX had a small fishing camp just north of the Phosate docks and the laughs A Lot was the place to be drinking.

I could go back to first trip to the Island when the Ferry arrived at 37st street. No I am a "Off Islander" but lived there from 1993 to 1996.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Like I said, spending some time in this forum gives one a gut feel for how hard the etsing is in various states, and I've seen people post their states pass/fail % here.... where did they get that info? Maybe the same way I got mine for NYS. Pat Voges, who has a credit in the NYS category manual, who taught my 30 hour course, and is the single most connected-powerful guy who represents the landscape indistry in NYS (he is the guy who runs the NSLGA, a local LCO assoc with 1700 members, and knows people like H Clinton and C Schumer on a first name basis) said the rate was about 50% in NY. Good enough for me, if not for anyone else.

I don't particularly care about any of this one way or the other, as long as I passed and got certified. There is no doubt that some states are very stringent, and others are not. If you can't understand that, you are in a vacuum. You want to believe whatever you want to.... people in some states are born stupid, whatever. Frakly, you are starting to sound like you might be from one of those "stupid states".
Nothing stupid at all about asking where you got your numbers from. Your percentage of 80% for PA is based off of whenever you came across a thread about PA testing, you made mental notes for a later date so you could form a percentage for the whole state. Hey that's fine by me. I was just genuinely interested in this thread simply because I'm a numbers kind of person. I was curious to find out if there was truly a statistical way to see how the states ranked up with the pass/fail rate as I thought it would be interesting to read.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
I've taken the Massachusetts test three times and passed it all three times. Why three times, you may ask? I took it in 2001 for my General Applicator's License and passed. Then in 2003, I took it again to become Certified in Trees and Shrubs and passed that. In 2006, I took and passed it to become a Dealer.

I also took the Rhode Island test back in 2002 and passed that as well. I've since let that license expire because I no longer have a need for it.

All in all, none of them were really hard but like any test of magnitude, the nervous jitters never stop until your results have been given. It all comes down to the studying. If you take the time to read and have someone quiz you on a regular basis, you should pass with no problems. It's a multiple choice test with 125 questions. Don't let the multiple choice part fool you! On some questions, you'll have four answers to choose from. One of them you can throw out the window, the 2nd one you'll think about and then throw it out, and then you'll be left with two choices. Out of those two, they BOTH could be the answer. You have to choose the one that makes the most logical sense or is the most important answer.

The part I had the most trouble with, dealt with the LABEL. Halfway through the test, I came upon four or five questions in a row where I couldn't figure out the answers at all. I filled out what I though was the answers but didn't feel comfortable with ANY of them. I made little stars next to them so that I could review them at the end of the test. I then turned the page and there was a label. I then read the label and it all became clear. THOSE QUESTIONS ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE, dealt with the Label! I erased my answers and then chose the correct ones, based on the label on the following page.

I've often wondered how many people got those questions wrong because they couldn't figure out that they pertained to the label on the following page. I think that the Pesticide Bureau is testing us not only on what we know, but on how we can figure things out on our own as well.
Now they actually point out in advance that the label on page X is for questions X thru X. Was it the one asking about usage around food prep areas etc.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Nebraska has 60 questions in general studies and 60 questions in ornamental and turf. The test isn't easy but if you study prior to the class it's not to bad. There's like a 50% pass rate here.
Adam
Old 03-27-2008, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Now they actually point out in advance that the label on page X is for questions X thru X. Was it the one asking about usage around food prep areas etc.
I can't really remember if the questions pertained to usage around food prep areas or not. It's been awhile since I took it.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright I took the Ornamental and Turf exam and Core exam in Fl today, 50 questions in each, if you read the books its cake. took me 25 mins for the core and about 45 mins for the O&T portion. Guess it just depends if you study or not