Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaChris View Post
Alright I took the Ornamental and Turf exam and Core exam in Fl today, 50 questions in each, if you read the books its cake. took me 25 mins for the core and about 45 mins for the O&T portion. Guess it just depends if you study or not
Chris

You didn't take the Commercial CPO test, you took the Private CPO test. This should allow you to do all of Boca Bay's work but no other properties unless owned by them. The commercial CPO test is 200 question and both core and L&O are on one 4 hour test. The commercial CPO test is only given in Winter Haven, Florida. I am not sure where the Private test is given, but I believe at the county extension office in each county. There is no requirements for taking the Private Applicators test like the Commercial CPO. 3 years working under a CPO and or one year working under CPO and a college degree in horticulture or entomology.

BTW Florida has many different certifications for pesticide application. Fact is there are actually two different divisions under the Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs that license pesticide application. The Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control and the Bureau of Compliance. With my BEPC Commercial L&O I can not legally spray parking lot for weeds, I must have a Road & Ride-away certification from the Bureau of Compliance to be 100% legal. As a CEU Provider for the BEPC, My CEU classes are not accepted by the Bureau of Compliance.

HEY I don't make the laws, only try to live by them so don't kill the messenger

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

No, I took the test for Commercial RUP. Boca Bay went through lawyers and the state to figure it all out cause it is all owned by the residents not just one person owns the property or some BS like that would have to ask them. They told me what I needed so thats what I do
Old 03-28-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaChris View Post
No, I took the test for Commercial RUP. Boca Bay went through lawyers and the state to figure it all out cause it is all owned by the residents not just one person owns the property or some BS like that would have to ask them. They told me what I needed so thats what I do
Chris

Congratulations on taking the test. Hopefully you passed it. Now let me educate you as to what Certification you have tested for. It is call a Private Applicator. You can work for homeowner association and apply RUP as an Employee of that Homeowner association. You can not legally apply to any other property other than those owned or under the control of your full time employer who is the Boca Bay Group. The private certification can not qualify you for any type of pesticide license nor does it count toward a commercial certification. Sorry

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/aes/pestapp.html

BTW I know Kitty Green CEO of Boca Bay. Boca Bay's lawyers have more important things to do than make deals with the state so you can get certified. The private certification is a common thing among larger properties where in house maintenance is done.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

GA here.

I am gearing up to take both the commerical Core and Ornamentals & Turf tests in April, so far my approach has been to read, read, read. I just got out of college 2 years back so I am somewhat still accustomed to studying. The core study material feels like a lot of the same - straight forward, common sense questions.

Any study tips from folks who have taken the GA commercial test?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

aoneill2020

I am truly sorry you bumped this year old thread because I have to comment on it.

It is a sad state of affairs when a Man sits for a certification test and doesn't know what that certification is for, And he passes the test!!! I don't mean to point out Boca Chris personally because he is typical of many in this industry. I am not sure whether to Laugh or Cry at this.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't understand your reply? I am assuming it is aimed at someone else. I know full well what I am studying for. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-25-2009, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoneill2020 View Post
I don't understand your reply? I am assuming it is aimed at someone else. I know full well what I am studying for. Thanks for the reply

aoneill2020

Read my post # 43 the last post a year ago before you bumped this thread.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

i see, got it!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The guy I used to work for 9 yrs.had to take it 4 times in Indiana we used to go buy and look at service call then he would go back and meet them later to discuss what (he found)?

Bob
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Georgia's test is not too difficult. The first time I took it I passed the CORE and failed the Turf and Ornamental by 2 points. The kicker is I pretty much went in cold, only using the information I had gathered from other applicators and common sense. The second time I had studied the areas that I had missed and passed easily. It just depends on how well you take a test.

Trust me though, its easier to study and do it once. Of course you could cram right before the test...if your only 2 years out of college you should remember how to do that.

Good luck to you