Register free!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

wanted: no herbicide/pesticide lawncare help

Guelph, in Southern Ontario, is passing a law soon, of no herbicides or pesticides for lawn care. Can anyone give me any tips as to a weedless lawn (other than get the knife out!) Is there anything that can replace the hose spray container of Killex or Weed b Gone...to spray a large lawn area? I tried the lemon juice and vinegar mixture, but it didn't work. I'd like to know what kind of "NATURAL" solutions people are using..that work for large mass grass areas! We have a lot of dandilions in this neighbourhood along with chickweed, clovers and moss. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This subject has discussed many times here before, please review some of the existing threads and you will find a wealth of knowledge

That said, The fact of the matter is that you will have to learn to live and accept a few weeds in the lawn. There is no such thing as an organic 2-4D product that will kill weeds and not harm the turf.

It becomes a change habits that eventually gets weeds under control. Mow as high as you can 3+ inches, water deeply so that the roots get way down in the soil, some use flamers to get broadleaf weeds. You can outcompete weeds as well by building soil fertility and seeding often. A thick stand of grass will outcompete most weeds
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and use selective herbicides to get a foot in the door so you can establish a system that will out compete your weeds (as Bill stated). If your weeds keep coming back year after year, your need to look more closely at the system and determine why that is happening.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In a lot of parts of Canada July 1 2008 is date that has been set to ban all pesticides and herbicides. I am not intimate with the legislative wording but essentially all of the "herbicide" tools have been taken away.

It is a water quality issue, not "we are tree huggers" issue. There are some glaring pollution issues that they are trying to get under control.

Much like they banned fishing in the Chesapeake Bay for Rockfish for 5 years, the species was about to fished out of existance, so the government stepped in and said "No more".

In this case fresh clean water was about to be extinct, not a good thing
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
In a lot of parts of Canada July 1 2008 is date that has been set to ban all pesticides and herbicides. I am not intimate with the legislative wording but essentially all of the "herbicide" tools have been taken away.
Interesting, and may I say ....

Can't get rid of your lawn weeds? Get rid of your lawn.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Interesting, and may I say ....

Can't get rid of your lawn weeds? Get rid of your lawn.
That will not happen, tho I do notice the lawns are getting smaller.
This could be a plus for Canadians, they'll move into a different market.
www.fertigator.com
Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike, Its an old running joke with Kiril about lawns

I really like that fertigator product, Our 1-2-3 Instant Compost Tea is used in some other peoples fertigation products that do the same thing.

I like the fact that you get a litlle bit everytime you water

There was a product, I don't know if its still around, used on Golf courses called the bio-ject system. It literally was a biological fermentator that brewed up a batch of beneficial microorganisms every night and they sprayed out with the irrigation system. The only drawback was that the bugzz didn't like the UV rays so you had to water at night. Long term watering at night caused more disease than it was worth
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Mike, Its an old running joke with Kiril about lawns.
I like the fact that you get a litlle bit everytime you water
Ditto on both comments..Mr. "anti-turf" is well known on the irrigation
forum. I do think fertigation is the answer for all plant needs.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllfb View Post
Guelph, in Southern Ontario, is passing a law soon, of no herbicides or pesticides for lawn care. Can anyone give me any tips as to a weedless lawn (other than get the knife out!) Is there anything that can replace the hose spray container of Killex or Weed b Gone...to spray a large lawn area? I tried the lemon juice and vinegar mixture, but it didn't work. I'd like to know what kind of "NATURAL" solutions people are using..that work for large mass grass areas! We have a lot of dandilions in this neighbourhood along with chickweed, clovers and moss. Thanks in advance for your help!
Do you have native or naturalized grasses that grow anywhere and everywhere in your neck of the woods? Here we have:
..."June grass, Paneion pratense, Poa anceps, Poa angustifolia var. pratensis..."

Info can be found here:
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

They call it 'invasive and unnatural', however it is what lives best in the climate as opposed to the bags of stuff you buy at the lawn stores. That is how it naturalized and will survive and out compete weeds if allowed to live naturally.

The right plant - for the right purpose : is the new paradigm!
All of this 5 steps program of Ferts, Cides etc. needs to be exorcised from the psyche of people who like a pleasant living environment outside the home.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mike, I think you got something in your eye.

This is the organic forum....

But since your here, now I can use one of those pics hoskm posted.
Attached Images