Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd like to add another thing

Maybe if you're servicing...lets say less than 150 lawns then you might have the option to wait a bit longer before getting started.
But if you're serviceing say 500 lawns per route then you have to get it going now, you aint got the option to wait. So there may be snow, especially near walkways/driveways where it gets piled up after shoveling, no big deal. Thats why most every company offers free service calls.

Lets face it, any preemergent control needs to be watered in and how many of your customers are willing to water in March or April or even May with some people?

So if we go by the method of snow and cant do the app then we must also wait til rain for a reliable watering in of the product.
Cant run a business doing that.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Theres no way of really knowing what happened.The homeowner could be full of it or the company could have overlooked a cancel or wanted to sneak one in.I auto renew,i send out a letter in february telling them thanks for your business last year and we would like to do the same this year.We will go ahead and put you down for the same services you received last year ...........and thats it.Dont give them an easy out and dont make it hard on urself.We are all in business to make money!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We never auto-renew. I sure would like to, but here's our situation: 1) Some customers decrease or increase the number of applications/services each year.......including aeration, grub prevent, tree care, etc, 2) Some retire, get divorced, lose their job, experience costly health costs, and several similar reasons, 3) Maybe they moved. Too often the last people they notify is lawn service. Bottom line: Things change, so we get confirmation each year as to the customers' needs & wants. Our .02 worth.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Here in Maine you can no longer auto renew. You have to get a signature on a new contract every year. And applying over snow like that is going against the label. The product has to be watered in which would be impossible with that amount of snow on the ground. Not to mention the solid ice under the snow.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just as a rule, I never sign any contract of any kind with an auto-renew clause in it. Just like I write my checks, I don't pay any bills on auto-pay out of my bank account either. I don't let ANYONE control my money, and that is what auto-renews are. I have no problem renewing contracts, but I have to agree to a continuation of services first.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fescue View Post
they did the right thing. she probably told a tech she wanted to cancel which isnt binding. she never called them im sure. they should sue her. i would, she seems like a liar.
i know she called because it is a good friend of mines mom. If she said she canceled then she did, she is a ccd teacher at a church i doubt shes into lying
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post
thats absurd, applying so early with snow on the ground
but the fact that they went to a supposed cancelled acct
-- well i think were all used to that by now

what really burns my ass is when i show up to service a long time
customer in the spring(always with signed contract in hand)
to find that company X had already treated the lawn.
then find out that the customer was just price shopping
with company X-- but they just decided to do the app anyway
i get a couple of these every year

attached a pic of my lawn in MA-- they better put there
snow tires on if their comin my way lol
I was out your way today Sturbridge MA there was a Mauget Certification I went to.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_longer_lurker View Post
I'd like to add another thing

Maybe if you're servicing...lets say less than 150 lawns then you might have the option to wait a bit longer before getting started.
But if you're serviceing say 500 lawns per route then you have to get it going now, you aint got the option to wait. So there may be snow, especially near walkways/driveways where it gets piled up after shoveling, no big deal. Thats why most every company offers free service calls.

Lets face it, any preemergent control needs to be watered in and how many of your customers are willing to water in March or April or even May with some people?

So if we go by the method of snow and cant do the app then we must also wait til rain for a reliable watering in of the product.
Cant run a business doing that.
I understand what your saying, but if the lawn is dormant and your putting down water sol fert, then arent you contributing to non point pollution, the same stuff that gets us a bad name
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Just as a rule, I never sign any contract of any kind with an auto-renew clause in it. Just like I write my checks, I don't pay any bills on auto-pay out of my bank account either. I don't let ANYONE control my money, and that is what auto-renews are. I have no problem renewing contracts, but I have to agree to a continuation of services first.
How in the world do you get your phone and electric company to give you a new contract every month?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I recall years ago hearing about a company in Columbus, Ohio applying preemergent over snow cover. If I recall correctly they had very high crabgrass control failure. I would not count on that Dimension app. to work. I would really think about applying Dimension at your second round to cover your butt.