Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We auto-renew.. and EVERY communication we send out has "for your convinience, service continues from season to seaon" in fact, it's even on our envelopes. There's nothing shady about it.. it just simply saves me a WHOLE lot of time..
Old 03-26-2008, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After having a competitor "accidently" fertilize some of lawns last year with their pre-emergent and come September seeing those lawns loaded with crabgrass I now fertilize any lawn of mine that was "accidently" fertilized by another co with 0-0-7 with Dimension and charge the client for the full year price-no discount because the other co did a free accidental app.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

scotts wasnt trying to sneak an extra app in. if the woman calls in and complains they'll just wind up giving her a credit anyway. they're not going to put up with the hassle of sending a woman to collections for $50 have her fight it and go to small claims court over it. they'll take the hit for the product and the time the tech was at the lawn. they made a mistake, the fact you are angry over this is childish. i'm sure you've never made a mistake with paperwork and i'm sure they treat lawns in the thousands in your area, a couple mistakes are bound to happen. i'm sure they're not doing it to put the screws to you.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Just as a rule, I never sign any contract of any kind with an auto-renew clause in it. Just like I write my checks, I don't pay any bills on auto-pay out of my bank account either. I don't let ANYONE control my money, and that is what auto-renews are. I have no problem renewing contracts, but I have to agree to a continuation of services first.
thata an interesting point

i live in the Northeast and I heat my home with oil

I dont see the oil man all summer long

In late fall he shows up automatically to fill my tank
(is he 'controling my money'? or is he providing me with a convienience of service?)
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Same here Ray.Nothing shady,i let em know whats goin on,they have full control always if they want to cancel,they know that.Ive done the sending out letters and please return for renewal thing for years and it was a hassel.Sometimes people would for get to send letter in when they did want to continue and would call me wondering why i havent fertilized their lawn yet.I like this way better.I still send letters but tell em we have em down for same services as last year.Have any concerns or questions please call.Simple
Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_longer_lurker View Post

(is he 'controling my money'? or is he providing me with a convienience of service?)
Well you dont see him because you probably dont burn much in the summer. But you are an auto delivery customer so you remain that way till you cancel.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_longer_lurker View Post

Same thing for me.... going into the next year, tell me what your prices will be before an automatic delivery. There are of course, always the exceptions... the phone and cable bill, electric.... but when it comes to things that have volatile pricing, I want to get a trigger to re-evaluate who I buy services from.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fescue View Post
they'll take the hit for the product and the time the tech was at the lawn. they made a mistake, the fact you are angry over this is childish. i'm sure you've never made a mistake with paperwork and i'm sure they treat lawns in the thousands in your area, a couple mistakes are bound to happen. i'm sure they're not doing it to put the screws to you.
Well Frank I see you have a fire under your arse tonight please refer back to my post in another thread asking about your anger issues.
But lets break this down. I do have a right to be upset that someone came in and did a round that i would have gotten paid for, They did fail to notify customer they were comming. Im not childish and you saying i am is funny given you posted on another thread how to throw water ballons of roundup on chemlawn accounts, and to dig up weeds and plant them on your competitions lawn.
1) you dont know for certain what their agenda is here. It might not be a mistake, it might be away to keep customers, like oh we wont charge you if you stay on or, hope the customer just pays it anyway. Maybe I see their sign and keep right on trucking.
2) what does me making mistakes and them treating thousands have to do with? I actually dont make mistakes like treating an account that isnt mine, why? because i carry my contract, i do my bids, i call my customers and i talk to my customers they like me.
3) as far as puttin the screws to me, they dont know me, im sure it is either part of their plan or just poor management.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Well Frank I see you have a fire under your arse tonight please refer back to my post in another thread asking about your anger issues.
But lets break this down. I do have a right to be upset that someone came in and did a round that i would have gotten paid for, They did fail to notify customer they were comming. Im not childish and you saying i am is funny given you posted on another thread how to throw water ballons of roundup on chemlawn accounts, and to dig up weeds and plant them on your competitions lawn.
1) you dont know for certain what their agenda is here. It might not be a mistake, it might be away to keep customers, like oh we wont charge you if you stay on or, hope the customer just pays it anyway. Maybe I see their sign and keep right on trucking.
2) what does me making mistakes and them treating thousands have to do with? I actually dont make mistakes like treating an account that isnt mine, why? because i carry my contract, i do my bids, i call my customers and i talk to my customers they like me.
3) as far as puttin the screws to me, they dont know me, im sure it is either part of their plan or just poor management.

scotts does many more customers than you. theres a good chance she thinks she canceled and didnt. theres a good chance there was miscommunication theres also a good chance she got lost in the paperwork. mistakes happen. like i said if you've never made a mistake than bravo, somewhere here did. and no scotts isn't doing it to "keep a customer" you think they go out and just fertilize every canceled customer in hopes of them signing back up? i'm sure they'd take a beating on cost of time and product if that was their policy.

chemical misapplication on lawns? yeah thats what the end game is there for scotts.

they won't say "i wont charge you if you stay on" anyone with business sense sees the outright stupidity in that statement. stop playing the victim card and use your brains for something constructive rather than getting all red faced and angry at scotts for hurting your bottom line. heres an idea

tell the woman her lawn is your business this year and you really can't guarentee the work done by another company. if scotts did a poor application and you dont get in there and do a round one and come june the lawn is a field of crabgrass you and her wont have anything to fall back on. tell her you'd feel more comfortable coming back in there in a couple weeks and applying her round one treatment so you know it was done right. she'll agree and everything will be right.

no sense getting pissed over something that could have been solved with some common sense.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Well you dont see him because you probably dont burn much in the summer. But you are an auto delivery customer so you remain that way till you cancel.
thats my point humble

we sell an 'auto delivery service'
we dont see our customers in the winter but we do automatically show up in the spring.

we do send letters in the winter for the customer to review showing exactly what we have them scheduled for and the cost per application and the option to save a little by prepaying.

we do try to reach customers by phone in Feb. (mostly to up sell but also to reconfirm their business with us) those we dont get in touch with we send a post card telling them when they can expect us in the spring

obviously there are different points of view and for some different laws in 'auto renew'

I'm just stating how we do it