Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A problem with my pressure washer

We have a Toro ( ithink?) pw from the depot,cost about $300...nothing fancy, 2800 psi or so, 3gpm

I can never seem to get the soap intake hose to work properly....any idea what could cause this? It worked for about 5 operating hours and nothing since

we only do small projects as an add on...maybe 2-3 homes each season...but i;d like to get this thing working! the filter screen isnt clogged...beyond that im lost!!

Also, i keep reading about this simple cherry product...is it available locally or do u have to order? is anything found at the home depot effective???
Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

A model number and make would be great.

I don't think the Depot sales Toro marked PW, maybe Ex-cell / Devilbiss, or Porter cable? Anyway, two points of interests will be your gun, and the chemical siphon. That is, if it is a "push/pull" type lance (high-low) or removable tips? If you gun is not working in low pressure mode,then the tip/orifice (Allen screw) will need to be examined. More than likely it is going to be the chemical injector body on the pump itself.
There is a small check valve (ball), spring, and O-ring, that allows solution to pass in "low pressure mode." The most common cause of this problem is a stuck check valve, due to accumulated soapy residue over a period of time. Also, the spring can become damaged (weaken) because of harsh chemicals, etc. The best way to avoid this, especially if it is only used so often, is to rinse the chemical injector with clean water (5-gal bucket) after each use and before storing it. Again, more info would be great. But access is usually just unscrewing it from the housing (barb assembly). In some causes, the whole venturi has to be removed.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
We have a Toro ( ithink?) pw from the depot,cost about $300...nothing fancy, 2800 psi or so, 3gpm

I can never seem to get the soap intake hose to work properly....any idea what could cause this? It worked for about 5 operating hours and nothing since

we only do small projects as an add on...maybe 2-3 homes each season...but i;d like to get this thing working! the filter screen isnt clogged...beyond that im lost!!

Also, i keep reading about this simple cherry product...is it available locally or do u have to order? is anything found at the home depot effective???
Simple Cherry can only be found here..... http://www.pressuretek.com

The mix would be for your machine... 3 gallons 12% Sodium Hypochlorite, 2 gallons water, 2 scoops of Simple Cherry.

Down-stream this on and simply rinse off with low pressure.
Awesome Pressure Washing and Great Cleaning Service
Follow us on Facebook.. facebook.com/powerwash
Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Pressure Washer Injector

Pressuretek also sells a Hi Draw chemical injector for about $10 bucks. It might be worth buying one to see if that fixes the problem. Also get a new chem hose just in case yours has a pinhole in it, that could cause your problem also.
Pressure Washing Prices
Old 03-30-2008, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

its a troy bilt unit with a 5.5 honda on it.

it has removable tips

i will try to take a look at this chemical injector....we'll see if i can find it!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The ball in the valve of your injector is probably sticking. This can happen if your downstreamed chlorine with it.
When it happens, shut down your pressure washer and remove remaining high pressure by pressing the trigger on the gun. Remove the soap hose and stick a small rod in the injector barb (unfolded paper clip works good) to push on the ball (leave the water on so it will rinse the valve when the ball is pressed on). Put the hose back and try it again, it should work.
You may eventually have to replace the O ring by a Nitrile one to prevent the ball from sticking.
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure where the pump is located on your model, as I write this (horizontal or vertical) or what kind of space that you have (open or skirting around it), but another option might be a quick disconnect chemical siphon. The output will have to be converted, from what I'm assuming is a M22 fitting, to a male quick fitting, etc. However, this depends on the location of the original siphon, that is, if it is removable (cast or screw in) or if it can be capped.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S DIAMOND View Post
I'm not sure where the pump is located on your model, as I write this (horizontal or vertical) or what kind of space that you have (open or skirting around it), but another option might be a quick disconnect chemical siphon. The output will have to be converted, from what I'm assuming is a M22 fitting, to a male quick fitting, etc. However, this depends on the location of the original siphon, that is, if it is removable (cast or screw in) or if it can be capped.
Putting a hi-draw injector down the line (can be put on with quick disconnects and a whip line) will prevent the original injector from sucking anything so it doesn't have to be disabled.
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...