Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2001, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question about jungle wheels

For any of you guys out ther using jungle wheels I have a question. When the going gets rough on hillsides, is there enough room to step off to the side and still operate the mower without running youself over with the sulky, or do you have to unhook the jungle wheels? I can step off to the side of my single wheel sulky on steeper stuff, then hop right back on when things smooth out again. I never had a double wheel sulky so I don't know - but I do like some of the features on those jungle wheels and might give them a try. Also, when you hang them off the handlebars for transportation, do they get in the way or are they pretty well tucked in?

B's Lawn Service
Old 11-23-2001, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no problem doing that. But for longer runs i have a cable and clip that I can hang the wheels up out of the way. You can shorten the length the stand is behind the mower so you have more room to walk behind it also.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2 wheel velke. If it gets too steep, just step off and keep on mowing. Just watch your feet, so you don't kick it.

No problem!!!
Old 11-23-2001, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The reason why you don't step on it is because:

You're standing straight up.
Your feet are at and angle to the hill and thus 12"-20" away from your Jungle Wheel.

(Image a string with a ball suspended from the center of your mowing handles. When level, its right ON the Jungle Wheels, when on a slope it's on the low side.)

So are your feet.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try looking at the bull and bronco riders from trimmer trap but as for my jungle wheels on mean hills i just stay on and hang on.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actualy I step off the Velke to keep the mower from castering up hill. That is the only reason. There are alot of hills you can stay on it. Now I only step off on real steep hills. Or if mower tires start slipping going up hill at a diagonal, but will ride it going down.

There is no scientific way to judge this, try it on your own and step off when your not comfortable. Esay as pie to figure out.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Step off and walk along side whenever you want. Steep hills or this also is nice around evergreen trees. I would suggest the 2 wheel Velke because it can turn sharper and you can actually back up because the connecting arm is high enough and the wheels are small enough for the platform to spin completely around. This also lets it fold up more compactly. currntly I have the Jungle wheels and the larger wheels seem to give a little better ride. Also the connecting pins seam stronger, no bushings like the Velkie. My next mower will be a Hydro with a fixed platform, caster wheel design so I don't have to turn at the waist so much. JM2CW
Old 11-24-2001, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody seen Toro's new Tru-Trak thing? It looks pretty cool, when I get a new w/b I want to check into it, anybody seen one or used one?

Hank
Old 11-24-2001, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hank,
I saw the one I think you're talking about at the dealer. It looks way too wide and bulky to me. The two platforms hinge independently, and the unit bolts on to the side of the rear on the chassis. I think a smaller lighter swivel caster sulky - which could be offset would work better.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 11-24-2001, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone heard of "Rocket Wheels"? Are they still beign made?
What about Spapper's "stand-sit" sulkie. Has anyone used one?