Register free!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Peat Moss

Anyone use Peat Moss as a top dressing after seeding a lawn? I have heard so many conflicting comments. "It holds moisture", "It dries the soil" ,It pulls moisture from the seed and soil."

I have used in on a few newly seeded lawns with great success. I have a spreader (round wire cage) that spreads it to about 1/8" or less. Depends on how fast or slow you walk.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtally View Post
Anyone use Peat Moss as a top dressing after seeding a lawn? I have heard so many conflicting comments. "It holds moisture", "It dries the soil" ,It pulls moisture from the seed and soil."

I have used in on a few newly seeded lawns with great success. I have a spreader (round wire cage) that spreads it to about 1/8" or less. Depends on how fast or slow you walk.
I think peat moss is fine as well. It has been used interchangeably with compost in years gone by, in fact they used to mix them together.

Can you post a picture of your spreader or describe it more in detail? Many people are interested in a useful machine to spread w/out the high investment. thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

The spreader I use can be found at:
http://www.emeraldseedandsupply.com/lawn/index.html

It seems to work very well, however a little small for larger yards. It holds just under a 1/2 of a 3.8 Cu bag. I am working with a welder to make me a larger model that will hold a full 3.8 Cu bag. My only concern it the gate opening latch is a little week, but not a serious problem if you keep an eye on it. There are two sizes of mesh so call first, so you will get the right size for your needs.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Are there any issues w/ the peat lowering the pH where it is applied. Our soils here are generally low pH. Does it have much of an affect at 1/8 or a 1/4 inch?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be nice to have that roller dresser hook on the back of your ztr...or atv...as well as have It a bit larger.

I have used Peat moss as a top dress and It worked well..IMO Its just covering the seed during the germination stage...you have to make sure It stays moist or The peat will blow away on you LOL.

Just a note about top dresser's...I use a small manure spreader for most of my jobs...
(1 acre plus)...I have never tried peat In It, but I bet it would work fine

As far as the pH is concerned...with just 1/4"...I don't think Its anything to be concerned about
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is just the right tool for the job. Glad someone is manufacturing it Good price for an "iffy" business venture. They mentioned the 1/2 x 1/4 diamond shaped opening on the webpage there. What size do you like for compost?

Peat moss does not change Ph does it? I know the Spagnum is acid - but, I thought Peat was more of a compost.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I use the 1/4" for the peat moss. They told me that the 1/2" was for products like Penn-Mulch. This place is a hydro seeding supplier.

The problem with hooking it up to a ZTR would be having to fill it all the time. When I get the larger on manufactured and see how it works, maybe I can have a few extra made to special specs.

Seeding here in NC & SC is about over till the fall, so I am not in a huge rush right now.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That Is a nice tool...and It Is very basic. Please Post some pictures of It In action...and also some of your new one being built...Thanks

Daner
Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The problem with hooking it up to a ZTR would be having to fill it all the time.
I think this is the biggest downside to this tool, ZTR or not. Do they have any models that hold half a yard or more?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Compost/Peat Spreader

Quote:

The problem with hooking it up to a ZTR would be having to fill it all the time. When I get the larger on manufactured and see how it works, maybe I can have a few extra made to special specs.

You need to fill your small one as well all the time...This Is how I would build a bigger compost/peat spreader...I would increase the Dia. to 36" ...and the length could be say 6' ...now the door to fill It would be large enough to load with a skid steer bucket...Now your talking production...for the somewhat bigger jobs...when you have 1-5 Triaxial loads of material to spread ...Peat moss Is very light... I think a ATV would be better than using a ZTR for pulling e spreader....I really like your Idea with that spreader...and making It somewhat larger

Daner

Last edited by Daner; 03-28-2008 at 10:20 AM.