Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
In the organics forum, pH is only one piece of the puzzle. There are other variables that can affect pH other than sticking a probe in the ground, getting a reading, and adding lime. Soil testing would be a better method of knowing what's going on with the soil. It's cheap in most cases, and an easy upsell.

These are not probe readers, for what you said it looks like the 697-A looks like it will do just fine, anyone know what it cost?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Hanna Instruments makes a great ph meter. I picked mine up at the local farm supply and it gives great results. Costs about $185.00 but worth the money to me.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
The problem with ALL inexpensive pH meters and test kits is that they will measure the pH of the water you used to make the slurry, not of the soil. I tried using a RapidTest pH meter, but the resilts were all the same... 6.7 to 6.8 every time. So, I tried the little test kit, with the capsules also made by RapidTest... same thing.
Use distilled water which should have a pH of ~7. You should also be using distilled water with the Hanna probe as well.

We discussed pH probes over in the organic forum a while back.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=211174
Old 03-29-2008, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Use distilled water which should have a pH of ~7. You should also be using distilled water with the Hanna probe as well.

We discussed pH probes over in the organic forum a while back.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=211174
LOL, yes, that is a given. Tap water has a lot of buffers in it that can skew the measurement.

I agree with Natty Lawn, pH is only a slice of the soil info pie, but still an important one. It helps sell the idea of a complete soil test, including organic matter content, micros and all the other good stuff a full soil analysis provides. Unfortunately, I cannot do a full soil workup on the tailgate of my pickup.... yet!

I have found that educating clients and involving them as much as possible makes it easier for me to sell responsible applications of all types. But, I will not be pulled into another organic debate here in this forum.... and that was the bait Natty put out there. I'll pass.