Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2001, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Michigan requiments

I was wondering what requirments Michigan might have for applying fert. and spraying? Thankyou in advance
Old 11-24-2001, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Jockey,

Michigan Department of Agriculture requires certification to apply pesticides commercially or agriculturally. If you are planning on going into business for yourself, your business must be licensed as well. Experience is needed to qualify for licensing of your business. Two years experience is needed under a certified applicator to meet the requirements. (They do make some exceptions). You must also pass your Certified Applicator test. If you plan on working for a company that is already licensed a core test is all that is needed to become a registered technician. But the certified applicator is recommended, this is a core test plus a category i.e. turfgrass, ornamentals, right-of-way. And of course a testing fee and yearly licensing fee is required, you know the government. Recertifiying is done every three years to maintain your license. A good place to start is your county cooperative extension. Good Luck.