Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

mnnesota lawn care info

hello peeps i live here in Minnesota and i am starting to go mainstream in the biz and i was looking for some info i am looking for a class or a book from the state of Minnesota for fertilization its my understanding that a person must have a license for this please let me know if any body can point me in the right direction of even a web site thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

MN dept of agriculture
Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

chemicals

Minnesota Department of Agriculture is the issuing agency, its a relatively easy test, and you can take a bunch of other sub catagories if you wish. It to bad you didnt ask this question a month ago. I just took a class with MNLA (minnesota landscape association) and it was a prep class for the state applicators test. The class is one day, and you review the next morning and take the test right after that. Almost everyone always passes the test with these courses. You have to renew every year, and recert with continuing education also. Being licensed is the only way to go!!!
21" snapper
21" jd wb
stihl blower
stihl trimmers
stihl chainsaw
JD Backpack blower
JD Stick edger
14' pj trailer
Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't even think about it without a liscence. You can get a big fine and appear in front of a judge. The tree huggers about this time of year start to call all the lawn services anonymously and start asking you questions about your business, as in what you do, do you have liscences and lots of other questions.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

can i use the pellet fert. with a spreader without a license ? i know the spray you cant and the sray is a lil more affective i would assume
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey humphrey View Post
can i use the pellet fert. with a spreader without a license ? i know the spray you cant and the sray is a lil more affective i would assume
You can spread straight fertilizer (NOT weed-n-feed) with a standard license, again from the Department of Ag., without taking a test.

Contact the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawmowerman22 is right on....with a MN Fert License you can apply straight lawn fert (no weed n feed, crabgrass control, etc) for customers for fee.

Here is the rip off part - it'll run you $150. Total rip off considering any homeowner just goes out and buys straight fert and applies it with no lic, yet you have to be lic. as a business owner. At any rate, I renew every year to cover my buns.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey humphrey View Post
hello peeps i live here in Minnesota and i am starting to go mainstream in the biz and i was looking for some info i am looking for a class or a book from the state of Minnesota for fertilization its my understanding that a person must have a license for this please let me know if any body can point me in the right direction of even a web site thanks
Also, you may or may not run into this down the road. Some cities are going to require you to carry a license as well, no test, just send in your money.

Forest Lake is one of them. $100 to get a city license. Also have to carry a $1000 bond.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
Also, you may or may not run into this down the road. Some cities are going to require you to carry a license as well, no test, just send in your money.

Forest Lake is one of them. $100 to get a city license. Also have to carry a $1000 bond.
Almost every city requires some sort of license to do business in. The thing is every city is different. Different fees, different ways to apply, different ways to qualify. I strongly believe in being fully licensed in all aspects of this business but to be fully licensed in a large majority of the cities I do business in is unreal. Probably shouldn't say this but it is relevant, I'd rather pay the 25-50 dollar fine if I get caught, then pay the 75-100 per city to register.

FYI-I just looked into the fines/reports to our ag dep, and what
I found out is that your chances of actually being fined for something is EXTREMELY low.

Still get licensed though!
Old 03-29-2008, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

About 10 years ago another lawn guy in my town sent in the money to get his liscence for dry fertilizer. One of his ads came out in the spring which included in the description fertilizing. Soon after he got a letter to his house, from the state with a $750 fine. He had to appear in front of a judge for all this. The paperwork for his liscence had not made it through the state before some (explative deleted) looked him up and turned him in. The judge waved the $750 fine. His business uses a PO box. He had no idea how whoever found out where he lives.