Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2008, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I consider most of the people doing applications in Hawaii unlicensed. The "landscapers" typically have either the owner or a manager named on the DOA certification as the certified applicator. They do not ever pick up a spray gun or push a spreader. Instead, they send workers, usually Philipine immigrants out with dumbed-down instructions on how to mix and apply a product through a hand can or backpack sprayer. Fertilizer, forget it. They are throwing granules by hand like sowing a rice paddy.

Yes, I am expensive. No, I do not mow, haul trash, weedwhack, install landscapes or trim hedges like how everyone else does. I also do not do the "throw and go" type of fertilizer application typical in the business. However, my clients know that I am closely monitoring everything going on in their landscape. I counsel clients and their maintenance workers on proper mowing, and pruning. I also demand and get total control of the irrigation system. The DOA knows that I apply in such a manner that is safe, accurate and effective. They have never seen anyone run a spray gun with fan tips and a regulator right before the gun ever in this state.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowing grass 1111 View Post
the only good narc isa dead narc
It's hard to believe there are people out here that think like this but I'm sure there are. I see 'em come and go all the time.

I see guys like Greendoctor all the time too. They never leave.

Why someone would study/pay for a license, then look the other way when someone is not is beyond me.

Last edited by mngrassguy; 03-29-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLS View Post
To whom do you report unlicensed applicators in Connecticut? I looked on the DEP website but could not find a link. Does anyone have a number to call for Connecticut and is there a reward for reporting if it leads to them getting caught?

Also, for off target application - my neighbor's service (well known company with big green trucks) is constantly hitting my small strip of lawn and leaving the application on my driveway. Last year they learned not to from me calling each time. Came home today and it was all yellow-green pre-emergent granules on my driveway and my fresh topsoil and grass seed where the plow guy dug up the lawn. Now the seed is shot and it will be hard to grow new grass. I want to go straight to the DEP and file a complaint. Then make the neighbor's fert. company pay for sod installation where I had seeded.
Where, I am at, granules on the driveway are a label violation. In Hawaii, there are no special rules to micromanage LCO's. But to not follow the label will get you a fine, if the violation is serious enough or a willful disregard of the label, the DOA will revoke your certification. You also have a case for chemical tresspass. I would take have taken pictures of the granules on the driveway and in your newly seeded areas and forward them to the interested parties.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I delt with such things when I worked for a large LCO many years ago. We were quick to fix the problem and hated it when the authorities contacted us before we had a chance to fix it ourselves. Due to the rapid employee turnover **** happens. Most reputable LCO would jump to fix it. If not, turn 'em in.

I'm the only LCO in this area that blows off drives and walks after ferting lawns. If I took pics of all the violations my camera would be full in a week.

I do call the LCO and report it. 90% of the time it gets cleaned up asap. I like to drive by and see the next day, then I call the Dept of Ag if its not done. Yes, they are on my speed dial
Old 03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lol talk about a thread hijackin =P

im in dallas, no problem with illegals here, ya i think they should put up a fence and any causing problems should get sent back, and the ones here should become legal, i dont care what they do with their money, they earned it, ya they pay taxes, i take it out of their paychecks, they pay when they go see a dr, they put money into the economy, what the hell u think they walk back to mexico every day and walk back in the morning for work??? that was a dumb statement... if they send their money to mexico who cares, do they have to spend every penny they make? they cant save some? ya stupid people that make fatal mistakes shouldnt have jobs with that potential, the government is who needs to get their $h#t together and fix this, it will not be settled on lawnsite.... and for the healthcare bit... most of the illegals are scared to go to the hospital because they think they will get deported.... i think the bums that are already here cause that to be a problem, and the lazy a$$es that claim disability and crap and not need it. see alot of them around here... but other that the drug dealin mexicans, most are hard working and honest as you are, because they dont have a ss# does not mean they cause all the problems you claim... if you want to turn people in for being unlicsensed go for it, alot of people start somewhere, and not everyone knows you need a lic. i didnt when i was younger... until i found out what a lesco was... i remember ericelm tellin me one time when i was talkin to him about the lic, he told me hey you gotta start somewhere. how about rather than being a snitch tell them first....

Last edited by Lance L; 03-29-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They said they would remove the topsoil and re-apply and seed.

Hijack thread -- The best worker I ever had got deported to Brazil. His father was legal and I thought he was too. He worked filling wheelbarrows of mulch all day with a very quick pace and an excellent attitude all for $8 / hr. Can't get anyone legal to do what he did how he did it for under $17.
Exmark 31 hp lazer 72" /w/ ultravac QDS
Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
Kubota with 60" Aeravator
10+13 hp Little wonder blowers
Shindaiwa and Stihl Trimmers + Blowers
CAT 303 C CR ASV RC50 + attachments
Solo Except When Absolutely Necessary
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I've hired illegals before and it won't be the last. They sure work better than the tweekers which are 2nd choice. And as long as they let them walk across the border, im gonna use them.
Why let all the crooked politicians make all the cash?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If they get hurt the college kids (parents) and the tweekers will sue you if they get the chance but the illegals can't / won't because they know they will be deported.
Exmark 31 hp lazer 72" /w/ ultravac QDS
Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
Kubota with 60" Aeravator
10+13 hp Little wonder blowers
Shindaiwa and Stihl Trimmers + Blowers
CAT 303 C CR ASV RC50 + attachments
Solo Except When Absolutely Necessary
Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_longer_lurker View Post
wow, hard to comprehend that "professionals" think the way some of you do?

my neighbor beats his wife every freakin night.....so I just turn up the volume on my TV so I dont hear her screams?

my other neighbor just robbed the bank up the street....but it isnt the branch that I keep my money in so I dont care?

I just saw a hit and run where an SUV was traveling at a high speed and killed a 13 year old as he was crossin the street....so I just closed the shades of my windows?

some old guy collapsed to the floor at the Mall...so every one just stepped over him?

God help us

Yeah good comparison?

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLS View Post
If they get hurt the college kids (parents) and the tweekers will sue you if they get the chance but the illegals can't / won't because they know they will be deported.

bout time someone here started talking some sense.