Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fire ants in flower beds?

I usually have fire ants under control on my clients yards but on my yard in perticualr I have been battling fire ants since I moved into this new home a year ago last week. I am on my 3 rotation of flowers in my 3 flower beds and everytime I get to digging and planting with my hands I get attacked before I realize it the fire ants are all over my hands and arms.

What can I apply either granular or liquid to combat this little bastards! These red ants are SO small that I can't generally see them until its to late. All 3 of my flower beds are raised above ground level by about 2.5 ft. The soil I have put down is soft & loamy mix of compost,top soil & soil conditioner used as mulch and mixed in.

perfect ground for ants to make a colony I realize that now.

What do you guys suggest I apply? amdro I think is what I used in the past to sprinkly over the flowers. Didn't seem to work that good and took 2 applications and about a 1 and a half to get rid of them.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem in my mailbox bed (raised as well). I mix Diazinon in with my soil as I'm tilling. I know Diazinon is banned now but there are many other products that took its place. Im not sure about the label but maybe Top Choice or Ceasefire would take care of your ant problem.

As far as existing mounds- I like Advion. It's not cheap but seems to work well. Again- not sure if it's labeled for beds.

Where in Charlotte are you? I'm next to So. Meck HS just off Park road.
"Now the guy's gotta come up with Paulie's money every week no matter what...'Business bad?- screw you, pay me.' 'Oh, you had a fire?- Screw you, Pay me.' 'Place got hit by lightning huh?, SCREW YOU, PAY ME'

- Ray Liotta as Henry Hill in Goodfellas
Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bunton

Orthene is both an excellent shrub insecticide and fire ant killer. You can buy it at Walmart or Home Cheapo in a black plastic bottle with a yellow lid.

Read the label.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I used award and DuPont Advion. I have one each I need to sell since I do not need.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I've used TopChoice and Advion with very good success for a couple of years in both turf and beds. The Advion controls them for the few weeks it takes for the TopChoice to kick in. It makes a good upsell.