Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Liquid vs. Granular

Just looking for opinions. What is better liquid or granular and why? How many apps is recommended through the year? I am new to fertilization and right now I am doing a 4 step all liquid with good results, but I am always looking for better.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do 2 liquid apps of post emergent herbicide. Merit and pre emerge are a granular combo. Apply a granular fert with my liquid herbicide apps as well. Liquid ferts have proven to be more expensive for me and you get all your essential micronutrients with your granulars. Cheaper to apply as well
Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

d

granular fert is better because of all the different slow release techologies.

as far as granular fert/post-emergent combos, everyone is telling me they dont work at all .. supposedly if applied to a wet lawn they work well, but i'm still waiting for someone on here that has experience applying granular fert w/ post-em to wet lawns to tell me if its a reasonable approach

certainly would not be for a large scale fert/spray operation because of timing the application when its wet ... but if it works well when wet, it would save money to apply combo granular on wet days as opposed to fert and spray seperately.

hopefully someone on here has applied fert/post granular to wet lawns can tell us if it works better.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

when it comes to just fert, fert plus crab control, or fert plus insect control it makes no difference at all if granular or liquid. not at all. all has to be watered in . it is cheaper to apply granular, but i have found it hard to beat my mix of liquid fert i made up with excellent slow release properties. i wont give my secret mix, but let you know they make liquid that is slow release. we only use it on round 2 and 5 with broadleaf blanket spray. turf does not like blanket weed control all the time so granular is a good thing with broadleaf touch up as needed the rest of the apps. my results and success with new clients switching to me all the time tells me that a little more money on some applications costs is a good thing!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Granular because i can do it with my PG
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Granular fert/Liquid Herbicide
Old 03-27-2008, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Apples versus oranges.

Liquids are infinitely adaptable to a variety of conditions if you own the right equipment, possess the needed skills & have access to the correct materials.

High Volume (4G/M) = you can root fertilize with any rate of delivery, apply preemergent herbicides, growth regulators, crown/root fungicides & insecticides. Truly even NPK distribution is expected even at very low spoon feeding rates.

Low-Medium Volume (1-2G/M) = you can foliar fertilize, apply post-emergent herbicides & leaf fungicides often in tank mixes. Soil wetting agents may be delivered this way but not usually in combination with other elements unless immediately watered in.

Very Low Volume (<1G/M) = Weed & Feed if Permagreen type equipment. If just liquid at low volume then it's better to stick with single or dual elements like foliar fertilizer or post-emergent herbicide or some (rare) fungicides. Tank mix options are limited. High rates of fertilizer are not possible but quality foliar fertilizers can work well with limitations.

Granular slow release Nitrogen is typically cheaper but you are usually limited to a single pesticide element. Bulk blends don't distribute the P & K very evenly in most cases. Homogeneous granules are costly. Granular lawn care sizes (SGN 210-240+) limit the applicator to Nitrogen rates of 1/2#N/M or more. Lower rates run the risk of "Nitrogen speckling" especially on shorter cut turf. Granular pesticide combinations eliminate or greatly reduce IPM opportunities.

For most LCO's granular is still best. Operator skill is much less important. Liquid may offer more flexibility but laborers lack the training & skills to modify their delivery to the ever changing conditions. Many golf supers don't even adjust their fungicide delivery rates regardless of the significant efficacy advantages that are possible. Tank mixing can save a lot of money & labor, but only the most costly & high maintenance equipment permit true IPM.

There is no right answer here. Combining the two disciplines is the best bet if the applicator has the equipment & skills. In the perfect world, everyone would have the budget for advanced delivery options that don't just afford expense reduction (Permagreens) but would also permit efficacy improvement & true IPM options.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've used liquid apps for many years. i like having control over whats being applied. i use NBN, urea, sulfate of potash, micro's, Fe, weed control, pre-m, insecticide all in liquid form. (tried UFLEXX last year but the drought screewd that test up, all lawns looked like a$$ that didn't water) about the only thing that i fudge on is the grub control, if it's a dry season and people arnt watering, then i'll go granular because it's alot more forgiving. 3 apps liquid here and 2 granular. larger properties get granular (permagreen) just for the cost of man hours. 20k or less get sprayed (faster then pushing and no side walks/drives to blow off)
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not do granular anything. Most of my turf is close cut warm season grasses or centipede. On bermuda and zoysia, granules do not go down below the surface, they stay on top. Where a mower will pick it up or it will break, defeating the purpose of a slow release. I have a 12 month growing season with heavy weed, insect and disease pressure. My normal terms of service are a monthly contract that covers fertilization, weed control, as well as pest and disease control. There is no such thing a a 4 step program here. it is more like 12-16 steps. I use all liquids. control products are applied separately except for soil herbicides such as preemergents, Image and simazine. Most of my lawns are under 5M, although I do get jobs to spray and fertilize an acre.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I prefer granular, but switched to primarily liquid. Got tired of making 2-3 passes through lawns. By being liquid, one pass and I hit every square inch...

If I'm gonna get stuck with Walmart price margins, then I need the Wal-mart capacity for clients. Liquid gives me that.