Register free!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

horse shoes & hand grenades

We're trying hard to get started applying 'round one' on lawns, but the weather is not cooperating. Last night, our weather forecast called for off & on light rain today with snow occurring 100 miles to our north.

Guess what........early this morning it began to rain. then ice pellets. then small hail. then light snow. then rain. then ice pellets. then snow, and it's still snowing. Snow plows & sand trucks were out all day. What a mess. No "call aheads" for tomorrow. Probably won't even treat lawns tomorrow (just like today).

Seems our local meteorologists fit in the category of 'horse shoes & hand grenades'.

Anybody else being delayed this spring? What do you plan to do to catch up?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my guess is you don't know what hail is. you're thinking of sleet.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, but we got round one done as of yesterday, here we have rain and heavy mist all day so we could not mulch or mow today as planned. we got a later start than wanted getting our round one started, but hey, weather dictates our lives in lawn care.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yuck! Same storm is in Michigan tonight. But somehow i managed to get in my first 10 treatments of the year--all in steady light rain--which is now turning to snow. Last year we started on March nineth. We are three weeks behind. Rain predicted Monday.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, same issues here. I have lawns that still have snow from winter on lawns up on the foothills. We've had a bunch of wind today, supposed to rain saturday. I had good weather yesterday, and the flu to go with it.
I have 150 lawns left plus hopefully another 50-100 new sign-ups before I'm done with round 1.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 03-28-2008, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
We're trying hard to get started applying 'round one' on lawns, but the weather is not cooperating. Last night, our weather forecast called for off & on light rain today with snow occurring 100 miles to our north.

Guess what........early this morning it began to rain. then ice pellets. then small hail. then light snow. then rain. then ice pellets. then snow, and it's still snowing. Snow plows & sand trucks were out all day. What a mess. No "call aheads" for tomorrow. Probably won't even treat lawns tomorrow (just like today).

Seems our local meteorologists fit in the category of 'horse shoes & hand grenades'.

Anybody else being delayed this spring? What do you plan to do to catch up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fescue View Post
my guess is you don't know what hail is. you're thinking of sleet.
I'm willing to bet that it can go from sleet to hail, and back again over there - just like it can anywhere else.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mn Department of Agg says they don't want us to fert till the frost goes out of the ground. Last year it was 80 here on this date. This year it will be May before we can get out. I have almost a foot of snow on the ground with more on the way this week-end!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I'm willing to bet that it can go from sleet to hail, and back again over there - just like it can anywhere else.

not true, do some research. its a totally different pattwern. he clearly doesnt know what hes talking about, neither do you. i do, i have advanced degrees in several meteorological studies.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does that mean your right 45% of the time like other weathermen? lol
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fescue View Post
not true, do some research. its a totally different pattwern. he clearly doesnt know what hes talking about, neither do you. i do, i have advanced degrees in several meteorological studies.
Yeah,....ok. Come here to Michigan. And tell me that it never switches over. I don't care WHAT kind of degrees you brag that you have...anyone here in Michigan will tell you that it does the same thing.
P.S. Telling people they don't know what they're talking about is not a very good etiquette to use among a forum of professionals. What you think you know about meteorology, you obviously lack in communication skills.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.