Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2000, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering what is most profitable for most of you. For me I would have to say mowing since I just started out in this business and havn't really started to branch off into other things yet.
Old 02-03-2000, 11:37 AM
Lawnsite Addict

Hardscaping makes the most money for us.<br>brick pavers, retaining walls, natural stone walks and walls, followed by large trees and shrubs, then annuals and seeding. <p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 02-03-2000, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscaping will almost always be more profitable. But in an economic downturn, landscaping will be one of the first things people will put off for better times. If you are cutting grass, the grass never worries about the economy. It grows anyway. <p>If you are looking just at maintenance work, the most profitable would be:<br> Lawn care- fertilization & pest control<br> Snow removal (if frequent enuf in your area)<br> Ornamental care - mulching, pruning, fert, pest control<br> Then the mowing and cleanups<p>If you are doing full maintenance, the basic mowing & other grunt work will probably be at least half of your gross revenues.<p>Jim<br>
Old 02-03-2000, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim is right on the money. We had alot of top of the line landscapers here give up lawn maintenance when the last good economy was here. Trouble is, when it turned they had no lawns to cut and they burned many bridges with their old customers. Same thing is happening again around here but but now the guys are driving around with six guys to pay in their truck asking for lawn work cause now there's too many guys doing landscaping! The order of profitability that Jim listed is correct.
Old 02-04-2000, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In the areas where we have a stronghold (that is, 20 or so houses within a 3 blocks of one another), mowing is by far the most profitable. The effective hourly rate, when you can cut down on drive time by THAT much, is AWESOME!<p>Otherwise, landscape installations are the most profiable. But we don't rely much on them. We do it once in a while and are pretty selective. I like to build up mowing accounts in one neighborhood. That's my idea of STABLE profit. And it's guaranteed money all year (at least if you are in a temperate climate like ours.) I love that. <p>I agree with the above posts too. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com
Old 02-04-2000, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

IMO maintenance and pesticide would be more profitable, since you more often than not have a customer for life where installations you are always fishing for the next job. Of course, an installation at an existing account is the best of all.<p>Bill