Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2001, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass in ornamentals.

What can I spray in beds that have ornamentals in them without killingn the bushes?
Old 11-25-2001, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fusilade If you read the old posts you will find many of the answers you are looking for. Check out the search feature on the top right hand corner. It takes about 3 years of hard study to learn pest control as a beginer and about 3 life times to be an expert. Good Luck

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A carefully directed Roundup spray will do the trick. If it is just grassy weeds, and you want to reduce chance of damage from overspray, use a 1% mix instead of the usual 2%. There are also selective herbicides to use on grass weeds in beds; use depends on what plants you are spraying around or over.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And this is of course, for existing grasses. If you want to prevent and control new grasses (and weeds) from coming in, then I recommend a product called Snapshot. This stuff will save you so much work in the beds, it's like heaven sent.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Groundkpr

I think you mean .5% instead of 1%. Round-up 41% times 3 OZ per gallon is 1.23 oz of A.I. or <1% of 128 OZ= a gallon. I can't spelll but I am too cheap to own a calculator cause I don't need one. I know that 2+2=5 in my head. If you can give me your spellllen, I'll be your calculator.

Not all plants are affected by round-up to the point of showing the effect. Therefore R-U can be sprayed over the top of many of them and a little drift will not hurt others. Fusilade is a grass killer that can be sprayed over the top of just about any non grass with out killing it. Check the label to be sure.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-25-2001, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, Ric. The old formulation of Roundup was mixed at 2-2/3 oz per gallon. Thus the Roundup component (not the AI%) of the mix was close to 2%. Half rate would be 1% then. I still use these % figures, and a lot of others up here do, even though with Roundup Pro you get good efficacy with 2 oz per gallon.

And let's have a math contest some day. I remember when hand held calculators were introduced. And for years I added the numbers in my head to see if the calculator was right.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GK

I remember sing along with Mitch. Your not the only senior citizen here. Hey thanks for the PM mesage about the website. After I posted I realized you weren't talking A.I. Most of the beginners don't under stand Tec Grade anyway. 2+2+2must = 10 then?????

Old 11-25-2001, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

We use Finale, kills the grass quicker and gives almost immediate results. Just watch the drift.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

take grass out of landscapes

Ornamec by PBI Gordon.
Old 11-30-2001, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I've used fusilade and ornamec. Both will need repeat apps and it's best to apply when actively growing, younger the better.
My understanding of these two products is they won't kill all types of grasses. They'll leave fescue and BG alone.