Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2008, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl SR 420

Does anyone use the Stihl SR420 for Tree/Shrub spraying? If so how do you like it? I am considering buying one, but would hate to frop $550 onlt to find out its not what I need.

I do a very limited amount of Tree spraying, so I don't want to invest in a spray rig just yet. Thye website says it will spray 40ft vertical and horizontal, but I'm guessing its more of a mist. Any other suggestions for something easily portable for spraying a few trees here and there?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

At one time I used to use a mist blower similar to the Stihl. There were problems with drift and uniformity of deposit on treated plants. That 40 feet throw is only possible if there is absolutely no wind, you are running the accessory liquid pump on the machine and it is through the spinning ULV nozzle. By the time you add all of this up, you have probably bought my tree spraying rig. I use a Solo 433 backpack power sprayer or a Maruyama MS074 power sprayer and an ARAG tree gun with a 2mm. orifice. It is no problem for me to spray a 20-25 ft tree under normal conditions. I also have a 48" wand with 2 ceramic disc nozzles mounted on a swivel to treat shrubs and hedges. There is no problem getting under leaves or through dense foliage because two overlapping cones spray with much greater force than a single nozzle. In my location, it is common for landscaped areas to be several hundred feet away from the street/driveway and up or down stairs.