Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Racoon Situation

Is there a safe way to repel raccoons? Moth balls maybe?

We have a local golf course that has a raccoon creating a den out of the pump house. This building is maybe 10 x 10 that is about 5 feet below ground. The heaters have been on all winter to prevent the pump from freezing because the building is not very weather proof, it is just a shack.

There is not a problem with having the critter around the course, but there is a problem when trying to turn on the pump. Being in a small space with a wild animal is not my idea of fun.

If anyone knows of a non-lethal way of keeping him away I would appreciate it.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Trap them! Live traps with trap doors work best. You can pick them up for about $30.

I don't know of anyway to effectively repel them.

I have caught tons of them...mostly in my own barns. These are older bank barns and have about 500 bales of old straw. They make dens and have babies forever. About two years ago we ended up catching 18.

You catch the stupid ones first....and they get harder to catch as you go. You may need to get creative like covering the trap so they can't see it and just leave the opening showing.

Take a piece of bread and cover it with peanut butter. Then slice a bananna and wrap the bread around it like a hot dog. Then cover the bananna with vanilla flavor.

Works every time.

In OH you have to have a vertabrate endorsement on your license or you can't do this commercially or for hire.

Check your local laws on this also...because here you can't transport in a vehicle. Check with your local government on how to discard.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks rcreech, I forgot to mention we tried the trap last night with some cooked tuna fillets left over from lunch but with no success. I felt like something raw would work best but we did not have any.

We will try the peanut butter, bread and banana.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I checked with our local animal control and they said they would provide us with a live trap and pick it up if we catch it or pick up our trap the same way. By the way, this is not for hire, I work at the golf course as an assistant superintendent and manage the lawn care etc. after work.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trap them and sometime animal control will loan the traps to you free of charge!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hoot

I agree trapping is the only way to control Raccoons. I have seen some of the fattest coons crawling out of dumpsters. Inorder to trap them, you must make the trap bait more appealing than other food sources. This may require watching them to see where they go all night long. Keeping areas like dumpsters clean or locked. Lack of other food will make the bait more appealing.

Coons are not easy to control.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I checked with our local animal control and they said they would provide us with a live trap and pick it up if we catch it or pick up our trap the same way. By the way, this is not for hire, I work at the golf course as an assistant superintendent and manage the lawn care etc. after work.
I picked up on you working at the course.

That is why I stated it the way I did!

Here...you technically can trap coons on your own property, but if you are doing it for someone esle you need to be licensed.

Again, not a big deal, but just wanted to let you know!

If the wrong person (animal rights freak) found out...they could cause trouble, but probably not likely!

If you are trapping them for the golf course, you are technically doing work you need to be licensed for (or atleast here in OH). Now, if you are not charging them, that may be a grey area.

OH well....I woudn't worry about, but just wanted to let you know!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Hoot

I agree trapping is the only way to control Raccoons. I have seen some of the fattest coons crawling out of dumpsters. Inorder to trap them, you must make the trap bait more appealing than other food sources. This may require watching them to see where they go all night long. Keeping areas like dumpsters clean or locked. Lack of other food will make the bait more appealing.

Coons are not easy to control.
Sooo your saying we need to make the trap bait more appealing than other food sources. so lets put a hooker raccoon , a cold beer & a sandwhich in the cage...That'll do it! ...lol just messing with ya!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn-Sharks View Post
Sooo your saying we need to make the trap bait more appealing than other food sources. so lets put a hooker raccoon , a cold beer & a sandwhich in the cage...That'll do it! ...lol just messing with ya!
lawn shark

Don't forget the rock n roll band.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Twenty Two Long.