Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2008, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Selling off part of business?

I have been in business for three years now providing lawn care/maintenance, design/build landscaping, and low voltage lighting.

I am considering selling off the lawn maintenance part of the operation to one of our employees that currently runs this part of the business.

Have any of you done this or have any suggestions about doing this? The main reason I am considering this is because the landscaping and lighting has grown increasingly more than the lawn care and my profits are better with landscaping, so I would like to focus more on this. I also enjoy landscaping more because it seems as though customers are more concerned with quality and creativity than they are with price. As I see it, lawn care is way too price sensitive, at least in my area.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think that it would be better to keep the lawn maintenance part of your company rather than selling it. It is a good service to offer to the people you designed and built their landscapes. This way when you get done with the building part you can say to them that you offer lawn maintenance too. If you are losing money by keeping the lawn maintenance operation then by all means, sell it, but if you are still making money then I don't see any reason to sell it. As you said you already have one employee that runs the operation so you really don't have that much trouble with it. Of coarse this decision is completely up to you and this is just my opinion.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sell it. IF price is right and were set up in a different directions such as landscape/design/build - sell.

Some may say other wise or if you don't need the money, why sell as my father in law always states but heck if someone out there is will to be pay a price - your price, I would be signing the purchase agreement.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sioux Falls' economy seems to be in pretty good shape. But I think if there was any sort of size to the business it might be worth holding on to, just for the diversity of revenue.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

That's what I did last year sold it to my good friend he just cut grass and I still get the rest of the jobs trimming mulch fertilizing!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been involed in buying accounts before, depends on what your selling, how much profit, and what you want out of them. I see your in Sioux Falls, give me a call if you want, or send me a PM
Old 03-28-2008, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Who or what is your company name? My sis and brother in law live there. Visit alot! Maybe lunch some time?? I am about an hour away - give or take a few minutes!