Register free!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grub Control Pricing and more

Hey everyone

I know what kind of response I am going to get from some people but I have a real hard time with the search on this site, it sends me to all sorts of threads I have no use for, so it is a simply question to ask.

I am wondering about grub control, I have one customer who has asked for it, because he knows he has a problem with it. I have never made such an app. before and yes I am licensed and certified. I know Merit is a good product are there any other options out there I should consider? Do you prefer to apply it seperate from a fert app? Do you use a combo product with fert and merit or just the straight merit?

How much do you charge for the app if it is a standalone app?

A single bag of merit will cost me $70 for 30LB and will cover about 18,000 sq. ft. in the middle of the high and low rate.

If it was a standalone app I think I would charge between $135-$175 for an 18,000 foot lawn. If I was able to just apply the product after a fert app (same day) I think I would charge $110?

Is this about right?

What about a mixed product of fert and grub control, to avoid having to apply the fert and then the grub control?

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll be the first to shoot an answer. As broad as it may seem you are already somewhat on the right track.

Combo products are the way to go. One pass over the property gets you both fert and insecticide.

Look into Allectus (merit and talstar together) on a fert it may be cheaper than just merit with fert. Don't ask why I havent figured it out yet either.

The price range for your stand alone app is where I would be for the person on a program(I think) and I would be higher for a stand alone(one time deal) assuming I was doing a combo product.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Consider using generic Imidacloprid products. Merit is so pricey, whereas the generic worked 100% perfect for me last year and was waaaay less. I guess look at the difference between $ saved on generic vs. $ spent on going through lawn twice?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whoopass What kind of pricing would you get for this application?

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually use Merit/fert combo. My cost for Merit/fert cost (21-0-8 50% PSCU) is only $32/bag this year. This stuff has really come down, you will probably find that the cheapest way for you to buy it is a combo product, let alone only having to cross the lawn once. What I & most other companies I've seen charge for the Merit app. is 1.5x regular app price as a rule of thumb...

Hope that helps.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBlooms View Post
Whoopass What kind of pricing would you get for this application?
That's tough to answer. We actually INCLUDE the grub treatment as part of our package. We found that this was a big factor in distinguishing us from our competitors.

But my actual chemical cost to apply the Water Soluble Packets is:

$1.60/M at the light rate and
$2.14/M for the heavy rate. (I run the heavy rate.)

By being liquid, adding it in doesn't change my application time one bit (I'd still have to spray the whole lawn with or without it). So it's really just a matter of chemical cost.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does the application fit into your normal schedule ok, because the timing is as important with grub control as it is with crabgrass is it not?

When do you apply in Indiana? I think we would be a week or so behind you in Wisconsin but it would depend on where in indiana you are located north or south

Old 03-29-2008, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As you recognize, each region is different. I do mine with my 3rd round. That's right on the cusp of the grub problems out here in the Rockies.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do mine with my 3rd round also (Starts 2nd. week of July) Merit apps. are very forgiving on the time frame. You could do them from June-end of July with no problems. You just want to make SURE the app is watered in! It is a systemic product, so it takes a little time after being watered in to be taken up by the roots & be effective. I would assume you are correct on the time fram for your area vs. mine. (I'm just S of the Michigan border)
Old 03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We just double our regular application price. That is easy for the customer to calculate and lets my lawn tech's price the application on the spot.

The same goes for surface insect and fungicide applications.
mount airy, md 21771-0630