Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2008, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Uh oh...

Ok, put an estimate on a lawn today. When the people initially contacted me they said they had weeds and what appeared to be ants mounds throughout. Well, I'm about 99.999999999% sure these are not ants. But I can see where they get the idea. There are these little mounds all over the place, very similar to an ant mound, but there is only one solitary hole in the center. Much bigger than any ant in my territory would use. I swear its a worm, I'm thinking maybe the cutworm, or even a sod webworm. I'm not to certain though. I got a picture but wont be able to upload it until Sunday or Monday. If it is, what organic methods out there for control or do I just need to go down to lesco and pull out the good ole synthetics?

Any thoughts? The hole is just smaller than the diameter of a pencil I would say and they seem concentrated in certain areas but through out the whole lawn, both the front and sides. It's a bare bermuda lawn by the way.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're sure it is not a nightcrawler?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well, I don't know. Wouldn't you think that you would see that more often? I don't think we got many of them around here. The other thing is that I had my own maintenance company for about three years and have never seen anything like this before. So I'm not really sure what to think.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lawn with similiar issues. Over the last 2 years we thought it was Green June Beetles, possibly mole crickets (not common up here), sod weborms/arymworms. I contacted Penn State and they told me probably GJB, although we haven't found any evidence besides the mounds and holes going straight down. I also found 4-5 webworms last fall but with all of the bumps there not causing that much damage.

I think it's earthworms. Property has been organically treated for at least 10 years. Soil is great, we just have trouble with the mounds. I'm trying to get the customer to let me come over in the evening to scout. Good luck...
Old 03-29-2008, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went ahead and put a post on the traditional threads being there are more people from my area than there is on this one and they all said it was earthworms. I went into greater detail on that one just to be safe and they seemed like it was a deffinate answer. I just wish there was a way to keep the mounds down as they don't look that great. Guess we just need a rain to wash it away.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try drenching it with soapy water as if you were testing for chinch bugs. That might bring the bug to the surface.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

how about a shovel and a fine screen or a shop vac ? suck that "critter" out of his hole and have him show some ID.

don't be a sissy and chicken out just yet, cut Worms, try BT
or mint oil its a neuron toxin to bugs

ask your self, what would it feel like to bathe in hot pepper juice or Tabasco sauce in the eyes, the bugs going to take a lot less to hurt?

or imagine an athletes foot that eats your spine (its on the outside of bugs)in just days.

or lets get medieval on then. lets send there plague infested corps hurling over castle walls, grind up said offender and ferment corps till it stinks dilute and fire up the sprayer trebuchets and take there castle

fish oil or hydrosilate or patis will smother the life out of most any thing.

go read the old posts again and think of the earth
Old 03-30-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lol, wow, you really get into this stuff don't you.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

500 + lawns now and a possibility to retire very early with pleanty of $ yes very serious and a little funny to
Old 03-31-2008, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Treegal, you're a hoot. I love it
"get midevil on his a$$" ROTFLMAO

How big or tall are the mounds
There are some essential oils that work very well for this, we just need to identify the sucker first