Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco ?????

Just bought a new 100 gal. sprayer for another van. Lesco, did not even check it to see if 1. started 2. had oil in the engine(which did not)3. pressure was even working, etc......... Im sorry this service sucks sooooo bad. Thank god I found my chemicals elswhere. They just dont care anymore!!!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Other than riding mowers, I thought it was pretty standard for equipment to come without oil in it.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN-UP View Post
Just bought a new 100 gal. sprayer for another van. Lesco, did not even check it to see if 1. started 2. had oil in the engine(which did not)3. pressure was even working, etc......... Im sorry this service sucks sooooo bad. Thank god I found my chemicals elswhere. They just dont care anymore!!!!!
Soooooo... this makes them different than other equipment dealers how??

I've had equipment I bought at places, get to the jobsite, and something is so wrong the machine is inoperable.

My Lesco bends over backwards for me and all their customers.

However, there's a Toro dealer that must think that I forge all of my checks, because they sure don't seem to appreciate any of them that I drop off.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had great service when I bought my Spacesaver 200, they not only filled everything with oil, but gas, and we fired it up so they could show me the operation of all the valves and what not, we even did a flow test and calibrated it. Top notch. However, from what my Lesco reps indicate, and the maintenance of the Lesco website, the declining product line, it frankly looks to me like JD acquired Lesco with the intent to kill it.

Pre JD Landscapes buyout
1. Always 2 reps at my store, so they could actually help you
2. Nearly always had everything in stock
3. Helpful website where I could get MSDS and Labeling, product specs, track my account and spending.
4. Lesco would price match other local suppliers

Post JD Landscapes buyout
1. Just 1 guy running the store, always busy. He can't even go to lunch without closing the store.
2. Diminishing products in stock.
3. Website is crap now, no info on equipment, very little on products, couldn't even find a MSDS I needed the other day.
4. JD won't price match, but if I switch my phone service, spend at least $25K each year and name my next born child "John Deere" then they will give me a "better" price, which is still more than I paid before.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quick couple of questions....

First, I see people mention the fact that there's only one person in a service center now.

I was just wondering if anyone's ever asked if the second person quit, because they got a different job, and just figured this was the time to do it??

The 5 service centers I deal with here in MN, are all still staffed like normal.

Second question is about the labels and MSDS. What are these products?? All of my products are still listed, as are some that I couldn't get labels for in the past. Sometimes I have to look up case quantity to get a label, or gallon quantity, but if I run through all the options for whatever product, I can usually find the label for it.

As with any transition from one ownership group to another, there are always going to be some changes, some things that are not exactly protocol as before, but usually will end up working themselves out over a short period of time.

Just like a new piece of equipment needs to be out on the marketplace for a year before all the bugs can be worked out.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do people get off on bashing LESCO?

Suck it up and put some oil in it!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Green Up has a point and is 100% correct on this one. I work for Lesco/John Deere Landscapes and I WILL NOT let a piece of equipment leave my store until it has been prepped. This includes adding oil if needed, adjustments that may need to be made, and a full running of the piece of equipment BEFORE the customer takes posession of it.

When a piece of equipment comes in, I prep it BEFORE it goes on the floor for resale. When a customer comes in and wants to buy it, I show them the oil level before we start it up. This will eliminate any questions. I also do a full demonstration for that customer and let them try it out themselves before the sale is made. This eliminates any problems that may arise.

If your Lesco/John Deere salesman cannot handle the basic prepping of a machine before selling it, they should not be in the store. It's crap like this that I hate to hear because I and a lot of my co-workers in the other stores take pride in our work and one bad apple could ruin it for us.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They closed our Lesco fert store and merged it with the JD irrigation store. not as much room entry and exit very bad, the computer systems are very very slow. I stopped asking for any price checks it takes too long and it takes a very long time to check out for simple items. Now they share loader between irrigation/fertilize so less manpower.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco service

I know Lesco's prices have gone up like everyone else's. They've always been a little pricey anyway.

As for the service, my local guy in Montgomery helps me a lot. He's always willing to answer my questions and talks with me about alternative solutions if the product that I request is expensive. Even if he's trying to leave work on time to go fishing, he always listens to me and tries to help.

I guess my point is, I believe pricing is pretty much determined at the "big office", not the local store so the store manager doesn't have much control over it. As for the store manager, like everything else, some are good and some are not so good.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
Soooooo... this makes them different than other equipment dealers how??

I've had equipment I bought at places, get to the jobsite, and something is so wrong the machine is inoperable.

My Lesco bends over backwards for me and all their customers.

However, there's a Toro dealer that must think that I forge all of my checks, because they sure don't seem to appreciate any of them that I drop off.
Sorry, have to correct "all their customers" to "all their customers except for me"
I'll leave the "bends over backwards" open though