Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2000, 05:35 AM
imowit

I plan on buying a new 60 inch cut, midmount ztr this spring. (Make still undecided.)<br>My question is: Have all the problems with the Kohler 25 been fixed? Would there be much chance of getting a bad one in a new machine now? Would I be better off going with the Kohler 22?<br>Your thoughts on this will be appreciated. <p>----------<br>Mike's Lawn Service<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Still undecided on brand?! A demo on an eXmark Lazer Z is in the cards for you.<p>We had the same problems with the 22hp as we did with the 25hp's. We resolved the problem by purchasing Kawasaki's. eXmark has that new Kohler 26hp EFI, don't know if that's any better or not.<p>I think it's kinda sad American made engines generally aren't as good as their Japanese counterparts.<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 05:59 AM

My Exmark Kohler 23 is running fine. What kid of problems did Kohler have?<br>Charles
Old 01-18-2000, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohler 23? I never saw one. Kawasaki made a 23hp.<p>What problems? Boy! Ignition modules, lifters, rocker arms, head gaskets. We've had our share. I don't work on any of them, so I don't know the details. When they stopped running, we brought them back to the dealer for service. Now with the Kawsaki's, we only go there for some maintenance parts.<p>
Old 01-18-2000, 06:31 AM
imowit

I guess I should have been more specific. I have read quite a few older posts where people were having head gasket problems with the Kohler 25.<p>----------<br>Mike's Lawn Service<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 06:42 AM

Yep, Kohler now has a command23 put on the lazers.<br>Charles<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah, we had plenty of those as well. It would take me a while to document all the repairs on the Kohlers. I'd say every engine had problems 2-3 times/year. And they're all within 3 years new.
Old 01-18-2000, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Charles,<br>Is it the new Gold series, horizontal shaft?
Old 01-18-2000, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 25 HP Kohler on my Dixie Chopper that I bought new in March of 99. After 25 hours of mowing it started spewing black smoke from the exhaust. I was scared to death that I got one of the dreaded 25 HP Kohlers that has such a bad track record. But since I have had zero problems. I now have over 350 hours. Just make sure they put on the redesigned Reed valve (thats what Dixie Chopper told me when I called them). Seems to have solved my head gasket problem.
Old 01-18-2000, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our Toro Z Master 2 years ago came with the Kohler 25 that did blow a head gasket. Kohler issued an alert to reinstall by hand torqueing a new gasket. We had only about 20 hours on our machine when it blew. The dealer did an incredible job fixing it in less then 5 hours and we now have over 900 hrs on it without one problem. We since purchased anothe Z Master with a newer designed Kohler 25 Command Pro on it. Hope this answers any concerns. I don't know how most of you feel, but we have had nothing but problems after a year or 2 with our Kawasaki engines, also with gasket problems. I myself would never buy another Kawasaki engine.<p>Mike