Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2000, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i dont like reading this...haha. i have a 4 month old toro z master with a 25 hp kohlor, its a horizonal shaft. were most of the ones with problems the vertical shafts? spent 7500 bucks and i dont intend to have any problems.
Old 01-18-2000, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan,<br>I don't know if they made a 25hp vertical. Yours is so new, you're probably going to be fine. Kohler did make some changes.
Old 01-18-2000, 10:59 AM
Banned

Lazer-<br>Does the 23 Kawi seem to have as much torque as they say it does? They said it is actually more powerful under load than the Kohler 25 when I talked to the factory reps from Ferris. Just curious how anyone else with experience with the 23 has liked it.<p>John<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Retro,<p>We don't have any Kaw 23's. I don't know if eXmark uses those. We have 19hp on our new tracers and 22hp liquid on our new Lazers. I don't pay much attention to the horsepower/torque claims. Most of them are munipulated in some way to sell the mower. They all seem to have enough power when you need it. Geez, 15 years ago we were mowing with a 52&quot; WB w/ 11hp, now we've got 8&quot; more deck and 2.5 times the power.<p>I will say I am pretty impressed though, with the 19hp Kaw on our Tracers, they perform right alongside the 22hp Kohlers. (Kohlers are a year older, though)<p>I would think that claim Ferris makes is probably accurate, Kaw's have always had good torque. I personally won't buy another Kohler ('til they change) but others, (like lbmd1 for example) have had different experiences.<p>I've probably owned 35 Kohlers in my career and maybe 25 Kawasaki's and I know what works for us right now.
Old 01-18-2000, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's too bad they're not available yet, but Kohler is now making a 23 hp vertical water cooled engine that is basically the same size as the command pro. It has an integral radiator attached to the blower housing(pictured on their web site) I asked Kohler about it, and they said all production at this time is going to oem sales. Guess we'll have to wait. The engine has a 3 year warranty. Thanks, Lynn Gorrell
Old 01-18-2000, 08:06 PM

Lazer, I couldnt find any info on what your question was in the manual about the gold part. I know it is a horizontal shaft. That it is a 23hp kohler on a lazer. It is new though. Used a couple of months with no problems so far (knock on wood).<br>Charles
Old 02-02-2000, 08:20 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Does anyone know if the 23 Kohler is just a 22 with a longer stroke, more compression, or something to make a 22HP a 23HP? BTW: Dixie Chopper is now putting Kawasaki's on their cheaper models disigned for homeowners.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-02-2000, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought all their mowers were designed for homeowners. LOL<p>Actually a Briggs & Stratton would be a fine engine for Dixie Choppers. Then you could spend equal time working on mower and engine.
Old 02-02-2000, 09:36 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Hey Lazer some of us are STILL mowing with<br>15 year old toros with 11hp briggs engines.<p>About 4 years ago I &quot;found&quot; a 1985 toro<br>11 hp briggs I/C with a 52&quot; deck for $500<br>sitting outside in the snow in the back<br>of a farm equipment dealer in NW New Jersey.<p>All I really wanted was the 52&quot; deck for a<br>16hp kohler magnum traction unit. I have used that traction unit (11hp)to steal parts from<br>(instead of going to the toro dealer) the<br>last few years.<p>I was going to sell the unit so I took it<br>to the local toro dealer to fix (I wanted to<br>throw him a bone in case in need his services in the future).<p>For a $250 he installed a nearly new carb,<br>breather, and replaced the rope, spring and<br>ratchet on the recoil starter.<p>I have a 48&quot; pure recycler deck (1991) hooked to the traction unit.<br>When I picked up the unit from the dealer I<br>could not belive the performance. When you<br>turn the electric cluth on the thing does<br>not miss a beat and does not smoke one bit.<p>Now you could not give me enough cash for that machine. Although the quality of cut<br>is not as good as the side discharge decks<br>it is the perfect trimming mower for large<br>commecial sites. Since the mower does not<br>discharge it is a perfect machine on sites<br>with high pedestrian traffic.<p>It's now at my welder having the rear of<br>the machine reinforced with a piece of angle<br>iron and having a sulky plate attached.<p>I will NEVER buy a new machine again for<br>I plan on buying every old gear drive unit<br>I can afford and I am planing on building<br>a lawn maint. empire from old junk.<p>I don't know about you but I am not comfortable giving min. wage laborers $7000<br>lawn mowers to operate.<p>
Old 02-02-2000, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, I wouldn't give a minimum wage earner a 7000.00 mower either.<br>'course I wouldn't give a minumum wage earner a job mowing, but that's another story.<p>I think 1985 was the only year for the 2 gallon steel gas tank and the idler pullies on the drive belts were red instead of black. Sound like yours? <p>(And you thought you were the only one who knows Toros. lol)<p>I liked the 48&quot; recycler when we had one. I found it striped awesome when you used like 80% of the deck, with major overlaps. Does yours do this?<p>