Register free!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Organic help with a synthetic program

I have spent a lot of time here trying to learn more about Organic Lawn Care to supplement and improve my synthetic program and it has been an education. Could someone here offer some advise or keywords to search for so I may learn more about supplementing my synthetic program with organics to improve its nutrient cycling and beneficial organisms. My program exclusively uses Lebanon ProScape products in the following order for Bluegrass/Rye in the Midwest. Will adding one round of biostimulants be enough?

1) 22-0-6 with MESA and Dimension crab and weed control
2) 25-2-5 with MESA technology
3) 15-2-5 with MACH II or Merit insect control (cycled each year)
4) 25-2-5 with MESA technology
5) 25-2-12 winterizer
Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

isn't IL one of the states that is going to change laws soon?

get ready to feel the bite from the organic bug.
we just took 200 lawn accounts away from our chem competitors in 2 days sitting on my arse

ICT BILL is the place to start or go to his site just skroll down
Old 03-30-2008, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Dave,

If you have some more specific questions there'd be lots of people here who'd be happy to help. Painting with a broad brush here but in very general terms synthetics and organics don't tend to compliment one another too well, its a hard fence to sit on. But like I said if you're looking at particular products or methods to add to your existing service then ask away.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can sensibly add organics as long as your synthetics don't undo your efforts.
IMHO anything that messes with AACT needs to be eliminated from the synthetic program.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some hard lines being drawn here.

The better quality synthetics (actually the "synthetic-organic" group) with low salt inidices do quite well when combined with organics. It's a nice synergy of good response time with soil enhancing properties.

Think golf courses. They use all the "tools" available.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

quiet,

Tools and our ability to understand when to use them is an important message. You can't use a 5 pound sledge to do trim work around a door, you can but that is typically called demolition.

I have to agree as long as the inputs are leesened, meaning a 4-3-3 NPK would be better in my opinion. The reason I say this is that, I speak to people all day long about this and it is very difficult to get out of the fertilizer mode. It has been so ingrained into our minds that we must use fertilizers that it is hard to get around.

Soon, in many areas, we will be legislated into alternatives whether we like it or not. There are counties in Florida where you can not, I said can not, use fertilizers at all. certain providences in Canada will not allow pesticides ANYMORE. CT you can't apply pesticides to K-12 school yards or play area's (good for them)