Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2008, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco @ Home Depot

I saw my local Home Depot is caring Lesco Fertilizer. The package is a little diffrent and is $5 cheaper a bag than at my Lesco dealer. Is this the same stuff you buy from a Lesco dealer or is it more of a home owner grade fertilizer. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGC View Post
I saw my local Home Depot is caring Lesco Fertilizer. The package is a little diffrent and is $5 cheaper a bag than at my Lesco dealer. Is this the same stuff you buy from a Lesco dealer or is it more of a home owner grade fertilizer. Any help appreciated.

I have not seen it in HD.....but it has been discusses on here before.

Look at the bag size, analysis, AI and SCU%.

If all is the same....then open the bag and look for dustiness, particle size and consistency.

HIGHLY doubt that you are comparing apples to apples.

FYI,

I was at Lowes last night and here are the following prices (can't remember the exact analysis.

Crabgrass = $39.99 - 15K
Starter = $36.99 (don't know sq ft)
Maint Fert = $27.99 - 15K
Weed and Feed = 32.99 - 15K

Prices didn't go up like I thought they would at the store...but they did go up quite a bit!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Home Depot had a 18-3-9 momentum weed and feed last year and from what I heard from some people it wasn't even greens grade or elite which pretty much defeats the purpose of granular broadleaf weed control.
Alot of times the HD blends are 40# bags and likme I said b4 keep an Eye on the SGN's.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco fert @ Home Depot...
can't remember the straight fert that I have seen but do know that they do carry a dimension fert there, 19-0-7, not 19-0-6 like we get. .10% dim, 50 lb bag, $30-$40 bucks.

Not a good seller though, If you are a homeowner would you buy the Scotts bag or buy the stuff you never heard of before?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, this has been discussed on here a few times before. It is NOT the same as that in Lesco stores. The slow release percentages are different, and most times, the ai % is different, as well.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco products are still good products at HD. It also helps create name recognition if you still use Lesco in your apps. I'd say it's a smart move on their part to capture a different market share.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

compare labels. you cant convince me that the 19-0-7 .15 AI dimension product at HD is any worse than the .10 we get from lesco for $5 MORE per BAG!!!

Our local lesco has the WORST service of probably any STORE i've ever been to...if you can even call it that. calling our local LESCO a step up from anything is a joke!

They dont every have enough of the 'popular' fert of the season when I need it (and remember i dont ever need a pallet...just 10-15 bags)....and they only ever have ONE guy working with 5 of us waiting around. Then when i tried to return a $30 pitchfork that broke at the weld 1 day after I bought it...I was told they couldn't do it!! WTF!!! A $30 pitchfork that was tac welded in one spot...broke it in a pile of mulch!!!
come on....give me a break

long live HD
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think if Lesco is selling at the home repo and people in here are saying it a lesser quality then lesco is stupid for doing it....The home owner has more power to bankrupt a company with a bad word of mouth spreading like wildfire faster then any lawn company ever could..Just my opinion! but im sure someone will try to start an arguement
Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if this is the case, just throwing it out for arguments sake. The product they sell at Home Depot may be slightly lower quality than what they sell at their professional stores but even still it's probably going to be better than what HD supplies currently so the homeowner may be thrilled with it.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Yes, this has been discussed on here a few times before. It is NOT the same as that in Lesco stores. The slow release percentages are different, and most times, the ai % is different, as well.

Runner

Make be not in your area, But I have seen the exact same blend in the exact same bag at Home Cheapo for 2 to 3 dollars less per bag. My first falling out with Lesco was the very same thing. I bought 20 bags of Weed & Feed then went to Home Cheapo and saw the same stuff cheaper than my "professional discount price" at the Lesco store.

I try not to B1tch about Lesco prices any more. But I hate it when our Industry Professional Price is higher than retail. Bayer is bad about this. Check Over n Out prices compared to Top Choice. Include the math of the lower AI in Over n Out. Last time I checked Over n Out was cheaper. I don't use that product, so I don't stay current on the price.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.